62. Truth Comes Out

TW: In this chapter, there is a story that largely includes transphobia against nonbinary people. Stop reading at "She pulled out a small yellow, white, purple and black flag" if you don't want to read about that. I'll sum it up at the end.

Akane Hironori's POV:

Akane Hironori fiddled with the shock collar around his neck. "Tell the complete story. Correctly. Or else." Akaashi-san had said, holding a small remote in her hand. "By the way, when I say 'or else', I mean that I'll shock you within an inch of your life." He smiled uncertainly at the stern woman, getting ready to tell Akaashi-kun his daughter's story. Oh, Mei. I'm so sorry. You weren't supposed to die. The younger Akaashi sat beside his mother, glaring daggers at him. He cleared his throat, staring at the boy, and began his story.

"It was a Saturday evening. Mei had been acting really strangely, I can remember that very clearly. I'd just gotten home from work, I'm a police officer, y'know, and she was bustling around in the kitchen, preparing some dinner for all of us.

Mei isn't—wasn't—much of a cook. She was fine at doing it, don't get me wrong, she could follow a recipe just as well as anyone else. But she was a perfectionist, and couldn't handle it when anything went wrong. Anyway, that's beside the point. She just didn't enjoy cooking, but baking was more her thing.

So, I got home, and she was cooking away. The pots and pans were so loud. Just couldn't put them down softly, I suppose. But my wife called me over, so I decided to just let Mei be. She had been hinting at something important all week long, so I assumed she wanted time to prepare to tell us what it was.

We ended up watching some T.V. whilst waiting and got through a few episodes of our show. It took quite some time for her to get ready, and my stomach was already aching from the long day we'd had. So, once she said she was done, I practically leaped from my spot on the couch.

The meal we ate was enjoyable, considering Mei never cooks. We ate, chatted for a bit, and Mei continued to hint that she had something important to tell us. We ended up eating dessert, a cheesecake that she'd never made before, and she stood up.

She pulled out a small yellow, white, purple and black flag, telling us she was nonbinary. I don't know where she got this idea. She is such a pretty girl! She's never been at all masculine or androgynous! She's always kept her hair long and loved dresses.

Of course, I brought these things up with her. She said that 'She didn't need to be androgynous to be nonbinary', but my issue is also with the fact that she's just a kid. Where did she get this from?

We ended up getting into an argument. There was no way she was nonbinary. It was most certainly a want for attention. Her mother and I decided to take away her phone and check the search history since it must be due to one of her platforms. Mei was furious and refused to hand over her phone, but we did notice the writing on her arm. Her soulmate had been telling her she was nonbinary, so I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Being nonbinary would ruin Mei's life, you've got to understand! So I contacted your mother. She... she said she would help. She said she would get rid of the problem. I thought she meant Washio."

Akane Hironori looked up, tears in his eyes. The younger Akaashi surveyed him, tilting his head in what seemed like sympathy until Akaashi's eyes hardened. "You are an asshole."

He jolted backwards, Akaashi's words physically hurting him. "What do you mean?"

"First off, you tried to kill someone because they helped your child find out a part of themself–"

"I didn't think she'd kill Washio!" Hironori shrieked, pointing angrily at the older Akaashi.

"Second," Akaashi continued, tone still ice cold. "You decide it's still worth it to misgender your dead child. Third, how would it harm you? How would being nonbinary change their life other than making them more comfortable? I also think that it's important to note that nonbinary people don't have a 'look'. You murdered someone off of a stupid stereotype."

Hironori tried to interrupt. No. You are wrong. She was wrong.

"Shut up. I'm speaking. You are a horrible parent. If you can't deal with a transgender child, don't have one." Akaashi's eyes flared, and Hironori shrunk back from the rage in his eyes. "I hope you always think about how it's your fault your only child is dead. It's your fault they felt horrid, and it's your fault, not Washio's, not hers–" He pointed apathetically at his mother, still glaring at Hironori. "–that a young, carefree student was murdered. I hope you can live with yourself, Hironori, and I hope you go home tonight, to your heartbroken wife, and realize the depth of what you did."

Summary: Akane's father told Akaashi's mother to murder Washio, but instead she killed Akane. Akaashi yells at Akane's father, telling him how horrible of a father he is.