Chapter 34: Sweet Dreams

A/N: Dedicated to the person who reminded me that I needed to update. :D Also listen to the music on the sidebar when she- Oh wait that would be a spoiler. Just a key word then; Run.

I didn’t know who I was expecting to come upstairs after me. It might be Blake. I could picture him now. His disapproving nod and him avoiding my eye contact. It could also be Dylan that barges in my room.

“Never talk like that to me again!” He would scream for everyone downstairs to hear. “I’m your Beta.”

Beta. The title is sickening. I almost forgot how Dylan even earned such respect after how childish he’s been with me.

What if it was my own father that would come up the stairs? Would he be disappointed, ashamed, angry? It didn’t matter who came upstairs. I’ve heard it all before and I don’t want to hear it again. My fingers hover over the doorknob as they twist the lock to make sure that no one would disturb me.

Surely enough there was a pounding on my door along with the doorknob jiggling. I smiled at how desperate they were to talk to me. I couldn’t hear the sounding or detect whose voice it was; but one thing was certain. 

I’m done.

I am not anyone’s punching bag or servant; even if I am the Omega. To be a Rogue is idiotic. I’m not dumb enough to leave my pack. But I am smart enough to leave my title. My hands quickly search for my school backpack. I instinctively leave my phone on my bed and open the window.

Before slipping outside, Dylan’s voice calls out. “Open the door, Omega!” He pauses. “That’s an order.”

There was a necklace that Dylan gave me when we were in middle school. My hands wrap around the centerpiece and I pull. The necklace snaps off. With one motion, I throw it on the floor and push myself out the window.

I didn’t land on my feet but on my back. My arm does slightly ache from the impact but I know that it will heal. The pain could’ve been worse if it wasn’t for the grass. Through the kitchen window, Dylan’s mother’s eyes stare back at me.

I begin to walk backwards, scared by the fact that she might tell the others. All she does is smile and mouths the words. Be Careful.

“Thank you.” I mouth back.

She could’ve sold me out easily. Maybe deep inside her heart she knew that I was right. My feet automatically knew what to do. I started to run since that’s the only thing that I am ever able to do. I knew where to go this time.

The place were this all started. The graveyard.

My eyes scan through the words written on stones. I needed to find his name. My eyes eventually began to water. I quickly wiped them away with the tip of my sleeve and continued looking. Then, my heart almost stopped when I found it.

Nathan Parker

1995-2013

A beloved brother and son.

The sight was sickening and yet I couldn’t look away. My knees then gave in as guilt and pain both intoxicated my heart. 

“I’m s-sorry.” I whimpered. 

Not a flower was laid upon his grave. In fact, his grave site looked neglected and abandoned. My hand gently touched upon his stone and a sharp pain hit me as memories violently flooded my brain.

“Don’t cry, beautiful.” Nathan’s memory ordered. “I’m not gone.”

He was the only one that I could tolerate orders from.