5- Getting dragged like a sack

Sameera and Avan heard the conversation of the teachers and relief coursed through them. This was definitely the handiwork of Neer.

They hadn't used their powers in fear of exposure and knew that the other elements would be going through the same turmoil. They sighed in relief as their members had found a way to help without making their powers known.

"We should hurry before the attackers get an upperhand," Sameera said to Avan.

"But–but Ayaan is still inside," Avan stuttered in panic. He wasn't going to leave his brother alone.

Sameera bit her lips, glancing over to the Sir who was trying to ward off the four attackers. She knew it wouldn't last long. Although the force of the water was tremendous, they were still fighting against four people. There was a great chance for at least one of them to get past the attack.

"Avan, run outside. I will go and bring Ayaan," Sameera said in a somber tone. She would try her best but the chances of them returning were low. At least one of them had to survive.

"But—," Avan tried to protest but she looked at him sternly and ordered, "Go."

Avan looked up at her with teary eyes. Hugging her waist, he whispered, "please come back," before running towards the gate.

Sameera turned back and cursed under her breath as she saw the teachers still wondering with panic about the happenings.

"Teachers, this isn't the time. Discuss everything in detail later after you all get out of here safely," Sameera reprimanded them, before going inside the school to search for Ayaan.

Sameera skidded to a stop after she crossed yet another empty hallway. "Outside everyone is rushing to get out then why are the hallways empty....," she whispered to herself.

Just then she heard some footsteps coming from the hallway of the opposite side. Relieved, she walked faster to reach the other hallway. She just had to cross the huge staircase and she would find a person. There was finally someone out there who could help her find Ayaan.

She was about to call the man out when she noticed the gun dangling in his hand. Sameera palmed her mouth as a panicked screech was about to come out. She hurried and hid in the small space beneath the staircase.

Her chest heaved up and down as she waited for the man to cross the area. Sameera finally let out the breath she had been holding, when the footsteps fade away.

Now she understood why the hallways were empty.

"There aren't just four attackers," Sameera realized. Sweat coated her forehead as she panicked at the situation.

"If the entire school is silent then there has to be more than one gunman," she whispered to herself.

Sameera unlocked her mobile to call Gyaan. She had to inform him about this, so he could make a proper plan. Without this knowledge, all their ideas might backfire.

She was about to press the dial when she noticed a shadow and in a second a gun was pressed on her temple.

"A parent shouldn't be so sneaky. STAND UP," the attacker yelled.

"Hands up and move forward," he instructed, while moving the gun from her temples to her back, as he motioned her to walk ahead.

Sameera gulped and followed her orders. Inside she was yearning to backhand the man, and show him the consequences of screwing with her. But she couldn't do that, not when Ayaan was still stuck inside.

Sameera had to quietly follow this man if she wanted to find Ayaan. And so she did. The attacker took her towards the back of the building. There she saw so many children and staff seated on the playground. There were at least seven men who roamed around the ground inspecting everyone.

"Sameera Aunty," Ayaan yelled in relief as he saw her entering, but his relief was soon followed by a groan of pain as one attacker slapped him.

"Don't touch the kid," Sameera yelled out in anger and soon faced the consequences.

The attacker kicked her causing Sameera to fall on her knees.

"Aunty," Ayaan whimpered.

Many students closed their eyes, not wanting to witness the dreaded scene, while the teachers shushed the younger ones who started crying. "Everything is going to be alright," the teacher whispered to the small girl in her lap as she caressed her head.

"QUIET. I don't want any noise here," the attacker yelled.

Sameera limped towards Ayaan, and engulfed him in a tight hug, after she sat down. She carefully caressed his cheek which was red from the slap.

"Don't lose hope," she whispered, blinking at him assuringly.

★★★★★

Sameera's fear had come true. Just as Avan was about to reach the gate, one man got out of the water attack. He picked up his gun that was lying on the ground, before rushing over to the gate to stop anyone from escaping.

Screams of terror were heard again as the parents and students were pushed back into the school.

The commotion had diverted the sports Sir's attention, which in turn helped the other three attackers to escape. One man caught hold of the pipe, while the other had the sport sir's neck in his hold. The attacker held the hose directly at the Sir's face to give him the taste of his own medicine, but the water stopped abruptly.

Cursing the attacker threw away the hose in anger, before back handing the Sir on his face.

One attacker noticed a small kid still trying to get out of the gate and rushed towards him.

Avan was trying to climb the gate, when he was pulled away. The attacker clutched the back of his t-shirt and hauled him on his shoulders like a sack.

"Ahana Didi," Avan yelled out in panic. He had seen her crouching near the wall when he was just about to get out and her name just came out as he was being hauled.

The attackers turned in the direction  Avan had looked while yelling and found Ahana.

Ahana cursed under her breath and was about to run off, when another attacker pulled her hair and dragged her inside.

Avan cried bitterly as he understood the major blunder he had committed in panic. He saw Ahana getting pulled in such a degradable manner, causing his heart to bleed.

Neer, who had seen her twin being pulled by her hair, stood up in fury. Before he could do anything, someone clutched the back of t-shirt and dragged him.

Dragged him just like they had done with Ahana, but Neer wasn't pulled towards the school, rather in the total opposite direction.