Chapter 74: Why me?

I regained consciousness and felt like I was floating underwater, suspended and not breathing.

'Wait... I'm not breathing?'

I tried to gasp, but my voice didn't come out as if I was surrounded by a cold liquid thing.

I panicked thinking I might drown, but I suddenly realized that I didn't need to breathe at all. I was baffled and couldn't fathom what was happening.

I don't need to breathe, but where am I exactly? I couldn't see anything. It's too dark. What exactly is this place?

It felt like I was in a lake of darkness and nothingness.

Did I really die again? I feel like I am in a deep lake. It was the same feeling before I was reborn into the beastman world. It felt the same as when I was in the Abyssal Lake. It was so frighteningly dark and lonely.

I still have so many questions in my mind. Was that really all it was? However, I think this is better than how I died when I was still Kim Arhi Gaumond.

I find it funny saying my complete name. It has been a long time since I heard someone say that name. I used to usually hear that name whenever my boss was frustrated about something I did. She doesn't want me to spend too much time on the charities that the company organized. I just want to extend my help to children who experienced the same misfortune as I did. Boys and girls who were previously assaulted and were finding it hard to move forward. What was so wrong about helping them anyway?

"You're finally awake. Kim Arhi Gaumond is it?" A gentle yet ghastly voice uttered.

'Right... I was Kim Arhi Gaumond, who loves to bicker with her boss every after the charity events. Wait... Who's that?!'

I suddenly felt someone pulling me out of the water, leading me to a shallow stream with a dreamlike beautiful scenery.

I can see a ghostly figure before my eyes, but I can't see him clearly.

"W-who are you?" I sobbed as I collapsed on the rocky floor of the river where we were standing.

"Nice seeing you again my child." He said in a low yet loving voice.

"H-Have we met before? I-I can't even see you properly." I uttered with fright.

"You can't remember it, but we did. We are and will always be a family. You are the child of my beloved daughter, Hera." He mumbled with pain in his tone.

My heart kept pounding hearing his voice. I tremble despite the gentleness in his tone. My body perfunctorily knelt down as if it knew who it was.

"I-I'm so confused. Who am I exactly?" I trembled in confusion.

"You are who you think you are. No one can identify who you really are but yourself." He answered vaguely, making me more confused.

"Even if I say that I am not the goddess Arie?" I asked desperately.

"It is up to you to decide who you will be. You are given free will to accept or reject any blessing, power or identity you are being given to. As you already know, a great power always comes with a great burden." He explained patiently.

I sighed, trying to understand his words.

"Child, you must be tired. Would you rather go back to earth and forget everything you've been through so far? Or would you bear the responsibility of bringing order to the chaos in the beastman world while saving your beloved father?" He asked in a gentle tone.

"But why me? Why do I need to shoulder that kind of responsibility? Isn't Ayla considered the strongest goddess just below the queen goddess? I've read the history of the twin goddess in the stone scripture, Arie was the weakest among the second generations." I whined desperately.

"A great power is resting within you. You are stronger than what you think you are. You just need to have faith in your own ability." He responded sternly.

"Also, why would the beastman world collapse?" I asked in confusion and disbelief.

"The world has been suffering due to the imbalance of power for a very long time already. It was Sephtis who caused the chaos. There is only a little time left before it collapses entirely. You need to face him and cease the curse he placed you and your father to bring the balance back. You will need your dear sister's help." He explained steadily.

"I am scared. Ayla hates me. I want to save Father Lev, but I'm scared. I can't take such extreme responsibility. Is there no other way to save my father? Can't I just save my father? I'm not even a goddess. How can I ever save a world? I am also frightened of Sephtis." I cried because I was afraid of the huge responsibility being placed on my shoulder.

"It pains me to see you like this. However, it is only you who can mend your own broken soul." He sighed in pity.

"Why?! Can't the Great Being do miracles?" I catechized due to disbelief.

"My child. Even a God like Me won't be able to help you if you yourself don't have faith in the power resting within you." He mumbled in a scolding yet worried tone.

"I'm sorry... I can't bring myself to believe the existence of the power you are saying. The responsibility is too overwhelming for me." I insisted stubbornly.

"I will respect your decision." He said sadly.

"What would happen if I decided to go back to earth? Will any one bear the responsibility in my place? What will happen if no one takes the responsibility? What chaos are you referring to? Will the beastman world crumble and cease to exist? How about the people I've met in this world? Will they also cease to exist?" I mumbled in worry and confusion.

"There is no certainty in life, child. You know that very well. Even a Supreme Being such as Myself can only watch our children and our creation crumble before our eyes. We cannot defy the balance of creation and destruction since we are the beginning and the end of every existence." He answered in an indifferent tone.

"Will I live as Kim Ahri again if I go back to earth?" I asked in confirmation.