Chapter 38: A Long Journey

The forest was astonishing during daylight and nostalgic when the sun sets or when it arises.

We walked through the vast forest during day time and stopped at night while each of the males took their turns to do the night watch. It was kind of hard for me to get used to that setup. There were bugs and insects everywhere. It was muddy when it rained. The summer was almost approaching so it was hot during mid-day. Luckily, there are many trees that shade us from the scorching sun.

I never did mountain climbing, hiking or even camping during my previous life. I never even imagined myself doing so. I did love nature, but I was never the type who would go on an adventure like this. It was the first time I travelled a very long distance by foot so it was kind of exhausting and nerve-racking.

"I'm hangwy (hungry)..." Gurion whined as he sat on Dillon's back who was in his beast form.

"We can stop here and set up some temporary shelter just in case it rains again tonight." Brother Orson suggested.

"There is a huge century tree ahead. We can use it as a temporary shelter." Lowell said while pointing to its direction.

"Hah... Great... I'm also... Exhausted. I never knew walking like this can be quite draining." I complained as I held on to a tree and took a deep breath.

"Are you alright? Why didn't you tell us you were already tired?" Dillon worryingly asked as he transformed back to his passive form while carrying Gurion in his arms.

"*Sigh* Don't mind me... I will get used to it... Soon... It's just that I felt like... It's more draining to walk... Than flying in the air..." I explained while gasping for air.

Lowell gave me some water to relieve my thirst and exhaustion. While my brother suddenly carried me without warning after I drank the water.

"I'll carry you till we get to the century tree and you should rest. You should have told us you were already this tired. What if you get sick without us knowing? You even insisted you will walk on your own. Starting tomorrow, I will carry you on my back with no more excuses." My older brother insisted.

I was speechless while being scolded just because I didn't rely on them. Well, I had no idea it was too tiring to walk continuously for a few days, so I thought I could handle it too.

"We can both take turns with Ari..." Dillon suggested.

"I can also help!" Lowell added.

"No!!! You can't!" Brother and Dillon, both exclaimed in unison.

He flinched as the two looked at him sharply.

"Woah! What a bummer! I just wanted to help. I know... I know... Geez..." Lowell defended while raising his hands to concede.

I was still unable to have physical contact with Lowell even in his beast form so my brother and Dillon couldn't let him touch even a single strand of my hair to prevent me from vomiting or fainting all throughout the journey. I was a little guilty seeing him with his sad expression when he tried to approach me, but couldn't due to my condition. I can feel his anxiety and jealousy whenever Dillon strokes my hair or holds my hands. Even though he was obviously jealous, he never expressed it and just bitterly smiled at me while his ears and tail were obviously drooping.

We rested on the nearest century tree where we decided to spend the rest of the night while Lowell will be on the night watch.

It rained that night so my brother and Dillon collected some huge leaves to create a roofing to prevent us from getting wet and cold. It looked like a small tree house since they made it a little sturdy despite the short time.

I suddenly felt nostalgic and missed the lion tribe. I miss my father and elder healer Lony. I also miss the elders who helped me with sewing dresses and weaving fabrics.

This feeling of melancholy overwhelmed me as the sound of the rain echoed all throughout the forest.

"Awi... Tey ah! (Ari... Say ah)" Gurion said as he tried to feed me with some soup cooked by Lowell with his tiny little hands.

His hands were shaking while his eyes were sparkling, expecting me to cooperate with his cute gesture. I honestly wanted to cry due to his cuteness and right timing.

I ate the food he was feeding me with a smile on my face, though tears suddenly escaped from my eyes.

"Ah! Iz... Iz it at m-mom... Ow no... Bwathee awi? (Is... Is it hot m-mom... Oh no... Brother Ari)" Gurion asked while panicking with his teary eyes, drooping ears and tail.

"Are you alright Ari?" My brother asked worriedly.

"Yes... I'm okay... I just miss my father and grandma Lony." I answered with all honesty as I tried to compose myself, despite the longing I was feeling.

Gurion can sense my sadness, but he tried so hard not to cry in front of me and tried to act cute as he rubbed his face against my palm. I pulled him up to my embrace and brother Orson stroked my hair a few times as he smiled at me trying to cheer me up. He went back from eating when I started to eat my fill.

Dillon sat right behind me and hugged me from the back as he rested his head on my wings while rubbing his face the same manner as Gurion did. I unintentionally swished my tail as I pondered and composed myself, but it accidentally touched Dillon's lips.

I felt him slightly biting and licking my tail so I flinched and flushed, but I couldn't react since Gurion was looking at me and I didn't want him seeing me being violent towards Dillon. I tried to lower my tail, hoping he would stop nibbling with it. However, he grabbed it with one of his hands and continued.

My brother saw my reaction and peeked at my back only to find Dillon playfully biting my tail as he hugs me tightly. He became irritated for some reason so he pulled Dillon's left ear to move him away from me.

"What are you doing?" My brother asked Dillon with a terrifying tone and glare.

Dillon flinched when he realized what he did wrong.

"Oh... Sorry... I'm backing off already..!" Dillon responded as he backed away in a haste.

Lowell was also glaring at him from a distance. Gurion was so confused about what was going on.