19 Vivian

"I thought we were going to eat right in the cafe," I admit as we get into the car.

"I'm just in a hurry so I don't forget about the surprise again," explains Aiden.

The guy starts the car, and I can't hide my panic, "Wait, are you going to eat while driving?"

After what happened with Grace and a series of subsequent events, I developed paranoia about safety. It seems as if recently I am not a person at all, but a bundle of fears and anxieties.

"Hmm, yeah, I've done that before," Aiden replies confidently.

However, his answer is not convincing enough for my nerves.

"Let's eat now, I think I won't be able to eat on the go," I coax, taking a burrito out of the bag and handing it to the guy. I'm afraid if I start explaining the real reasons, he'll think I'm crazy.

Thank God, Aiden gives in without further ado. After taking one big bite, he reaches out to turn on the player (I didn't even notice that we were driving in silence all this time – I was so carried away by the pictures flying past behind the glass), and adjusts playback via his phone.

"I knew I wasn't going to read the book, so I found an alternative way to get acquainted with what you love."

Aiden's words are followed by the sound of music. Men sing out of the speakers in a long drawl: "Ships go to sea – they have a long way to go...", echoed by women, "And the sails float away like clouds..."

"What is it?" I justify the expectations of the guy with my surprised look.

He grins in response, "Listen on," and continues to enjoy the meal, while I excitedly rub the package of my burrito, listening.

After this short musical introduction, the announcer informs that a radio performance based on Alexander Grin's story "Crimson Sails" will follow.

My eyes widen with delight, Aiden pauses the audio at this time.

I smile with happiness and bite my lip to keep from squealing.

"Did you download this specifically for the trip?"

The guy chuckles, reveling in his triumph, "No, actually I uploaded the audio after I found your notebook with quotes, read the summary on the Internet and got a tattoo. It seemed to me that I was obliged to read the full text, especially since the story is quite short. "

I can't believe we are going to listen to this story together now. I want to express my joy, but then my hungry stomach lets us know about itself.

"Eat in peace, the road is long, we'll all make it," Aiden assures, suddenly becoming serious.

By the time I finish my burrito, he's already finishing his coffee.

"You can get moving, I think I'll be able to drink in motion – a cup is with a lid," I say, wanting to start listening to the audio performance as soon as possible.

The guy looks at me and at the lid with disbelief, but, nevertheless, starts the engine and goes back to the track.
I need to buy a keepcup like his: it will be more reliable than a flimsy disposable cup from a cafe, and besides, it is more environmentally friendly. I had a similar one at home (beige, of course).

"Can I turn it on?" Aiden asks teasingly, looking at me sideways. As if he doesn't feel that I'm burning with impatience!

"Uh-huh," follows a deliberately short and restrained response on my part.

The car's cabin is filled with the solemn voice of the narrator. I look at Aiden, sipping my slightly cooled coffee, and feel my whole body bursting with happiness.

What If Instead Of...On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara