12 Vivian

Already at the entrance, everything starts to shrink inside me from the sideways glances that meet us.

We are being judged.

The staff helpfully points towards the large hall, where we can find the hero of the occasion.

Some of the guests have masks on their faces, as if a masquerade ball is taking place here.

My legs hardly obey – I don't know how I manage to move at all.

On the way to the hall, Aiden takes my hand and looks into my face, assessing how I feel.

We slowly step into a room filled with people.

The further we go, the more eyes turn their curious gazes on us.

I'm terribly embarrassed. I cover our intertwined hands with the palm of my left hand and press against Aiden's shoulder, slightly hiding behind him.

Nevertheless, he walks with a confident step and looks only forward – to where Ethan accepts congratulations.

I hear whispers behind our backs and caustic giggles that send shivers through my body.

Sensing my boundless anxiety, Aiden gently squeezes my hand tighter.

This gesture really gives me strength and confidence.

If he doesn't pay attention to the slander and foul bile lavished on him, then I shouldn't care that much either.

I want to match my man.

Coming out of my hiding place behind Aiden, I straighten my back and shoulders and lift my chin higher.
I'm still halfway there, and I'm not going to go through it shaking and stumbling in fear of what people I don't even know think.

Casting a fleeting glance at Aiden, I notice a barely visible, satisfied grin on his lips.

He's proud of me.

From that moment on, it's like I'm flying, inspired by his support.

Finally, we are approaching the shining birthday guy.

I practically don't know this person, so I just manage a short happy birthday.
I'm afraid he won't get anything more from Aiden either, except maybe a handshake.

Ethan thanks us and points to the bar, inviting us to have fun.

Aiden gently pulls me to him by the waist.

Leo is waiting for us at the bar.

"Hello, rosebud. I was hoping, right up until the last minute that you wouldn't agree to this," my friend greets me.

I fix my stunned gaze on him, "You left it up to me to say no?"

"Maybe," he grins, sipping from his glass.

If I had known how it would be, I probably wouldn't have agreed.

"Can I get you some champagne?" asks Aiden and puts his arm around my shoulder softly.

Remembering the last outing to the club and my nervousness mixed with alcohol, I shake my head negatively.

While the guys are discussing work stuff, I turn aside and see Carine and Tiffany standing next to Ethan.
This means that now he will direct them here.

Wasting no time, I stand in front of Aiden, put my hands on his chest and look hopefully into his eyes, "Let's go home?"

His eyebrows rise, a questioning smile appears on his lips, "Already?"

"Uh-huh," I nod my head impatiently.

"Right now?"

My nerves are on edge.
I shake my head even more frantically and nervously hide his hand in both of mine.