2 Vivian

Leo's apartment turns out to be located not so far from Grace's house - just a couple of blocks away - so we get there quickly enough.

"What floor do you live on?" I wonder impatiently.

"Dull, but it's ground one," the guy chuckles.

We get out of the car in the same hurry as before.

"Are you afraid of Aiden?" I ask, unable to puzzle over why he is trying so hard for us not to be caught up.

Leo's face turns frowning.

"No, I'm just trying to delay your meeting as much as possible," follows the cryptic answer.

"I think that by sending me home, he made it clear that he doesn't really want to see me here," I say bitterly.

"I've known him a lot longer than you, I know what I'm talking about," Leo assures, unlocking the door with his keys.

His apartment is the exact opposite of Aiden's. The walls are cozy warm shades, there's light furniture, lots of plants.

"Do you take care of them yourself?" I wonder, without specifying what my question is about.

"Yes," he scratches the back of his head in embarrassment, "they remind me of my mother - she has an obsession with greens."

I smile warmly at him, wondering what a strong connection he and his mother must have.

"Where is she now, if it's not a secret?" I ask, hoping not to hurt the guy by ignorant accident.

"She got married and moved to the other side of the country when I was nineteen."

"Then why didn't you leave with her?" I exclaim, bewildered.

"Well, I had college and..."

"Aiden?" my guess is heard.

Leo looks at me and smiles shyly.

"Yes. I couldn't leave him," he explains briefly, without going into details.

From what I already know, Leo was a friend who helped Aiden not to hit rock bottom. If he had also left, the irreparable could have happened...

Despite our complicated relationship, I'm glad Leo was always ready to give Aiden a helping hand, had his back; that to this day he's always there when he's most needed.

"Thank you for taking care of him," I say softly, wishing to let the guy know that the time, sacrifices and efforts he puts in are not in vain.

"Thank you that, no matter what, you care about it," he says in response.

Leo reads me like an open book. Well, let it be. Perhaps it's even for the best, because in this case I don't have to explain anything.

Wanting to dilute the awkward pause that has formed, I ask, "Where can I be accommodated?"

This day seems endless. All I need right now is some rest.

"I'll take your things to my mom's former room – it's a guest room now. The bathroom is right opposite," he does not forget to add.

In order not to embarrass either Leo or myself, I decide to sleep in jeans and a T-shirt – not quite loose and comfortable choice, but there's nothing to be done if the guy agrees to what I'm going to ask him.

"Vivian, are you hungry?" I can hear from the kitchen.

"No, I'm really tired, I'll eat tomorrow, thank you!" I have to shout back.

A few minutes later Leo comes in with a sandwich in one hand and an apple in the other.

"At least take this," he says, handing me the fruit, "Otherwise you might not fall asleep thinking about breakfast."