25: EACH OTHER

"A lot of you here have had the pleasure of meeting Tom. Or as you might know better, Admiral 'Iceman' Kazansky, Commander of the Pacific Fleet. You might even call him your best friend, friend, mentor, or hero. Well me, I was rather fortunate to be able to call him all of those things. But most of all I was able to call him dad."

All the pilots were screaming on the inside with questions, but it would've been informal to look at each other so they kept staring straight.

"Hi, if you don't already know me I'm Ana Howard-Kazansky. The daughter of Tom and Sarah Kazansky. When I was eight years old my father died, my mom left and I was going into the foster care system, and no one wanted me. But Tom came along and he and Sarah adopted me." Ana turned around to face Sarah who's eyes were all glassy. They shared a look of thanks and Ana turned back around. "Little did I know that he would change my whole life. My dad, Tom was one of the best dad's that a child could hope to get. He was there for me through thick and thin. No matter how frustrated I was during situations and with all the Monopoly losses, which I didn't take well. We went through a couple boards let's just say." People in the crowd laughed softly watching Ana who continued to look down at her paper preparing for the next sentence.

"He continued to love me and treat me like his own daughter. One of the best memories I have with him other than the first time he flew me around in one of his planes. He would look over at me in the co-pilot seat looking at my face that had so much amazement in it. Also another memory was when I had spent little time of being part of the Kazansky family and I came home from school crying because it was bring your father to work day. And unfortunately mine had passed a few months ago. But Tom stepped in for me and my biological father. He walked into the classroom with his navy uniform on the next week and all the kids look petrified. I think that's what he was going for honestly."

The people around laughed through their tears at her comment. "That day he stood up in front of the classroom with me and reminded me that I already had a dad." Ana started to choke on her soon coming tears. "He was standing right beside me." She looked out into the crowd she was speaking in front of as she finished her sentence. When she looked up she made eye contact with Bradley who was standing 40 feet away from her. He looked at her with sympathy and regret then what caught Ana of guard, he shook his head telling her not to break loose and that she could get through the speech without crying. Then to be more soft he nodded his head towards her, comforting her, pushing her to keep going on. Just from this small encounter it pushed Ana to sniffle up all her tears and finish the speech with a calm but sad voice.

"From that moment on in the classroom I knew deep down that he would be for me no matter what. And he continued to prove that even in his final days. I have so much in my life to be thankful for that wouldn't of been possible without him. He used to tell me all the time, "you grow through what you go through". I've always believed that my whole life with dad constantly saying it to me all the time. Right now you might be asking how on earth could we grow from this devastating loss of a person? I truly don't know myself right now, but I know how he would answer that question. He would say right now with all the pain that we are feeling it will only make us stronger for the missiles that life has yet to launch toward us. He would also say his memory wouldn't die here on his day, it will continue to live on from his memories that he had made on this earth, from family, friends and small acquaintances. All I ask from you all today is to continue to spread his memories and stories with generations to come and don't let them forget his story. Also start or continue to live by his motto, you grow through what you go through and of course, fly ice cold."

Swiftly Ana turned around and made her way back to the comfort of her family. Now that she was done with the speech she began to cry once she made her to Sarah. Walking towards Sarah Ana opened up her arms like a little kid wanting their mom. Before Ana could reach her Sarah opened her arms standing there in her tears waiting for her to reach her.