one

"HAWKINS INDIANA, here we are

"HAWKINS INDIANA, here we are." susan tells max and y/n with a smile.

susan quickly opened up the trunk for the car, and max and y/n walked over to there, taking boxes out.

y/n walked upstairs with her boxes, and set it down in her new room.

max carefully opened the cracked door to y/n's room, and walked in.

"how do you like it?" max asked y/n, as she glanced around the room.

"it's amazing." y/n responded with a small smile.

"i also heard theres an arcade near here." max told y/n. "wanna go?"

"yeah, sure." y/n quickly responded.

max grabbed y/n's hand, and quickly ran downstairs with her.

"where are you guys going?" susan asked max and y/n.

"arcade." max and y/n replied in unison, and walked out of the front door.

-

y/n and max walked through the arcade door, their feet hurting from walking.

"i'm never walking here again." max complained. "why couldn't billy drive us or something?"

"because billy's a dick." y/n joked with max, to which max laughed back.

max and y/n, walked over to a game called dig dug.

"should we play this?" y/n asked max, to which max just nodded her head.

max inserted a coin into the machine, and began playing, to which she broke the top score.

-

the next day, mr. clarke placed a plastic brain on the table, in class.

"meet the human brain." mr. clarke explains. "i know. i know, it doesn't look like much. a little gross even, but consider this. there are a hundred billion cells inside of this miracle of evolution. no, i did not misspeak. i did not stutter, a hundred billion." he excitedly explains.

then the door opened and closed, bringing in two new students.

"ah, this must be our new students." mr. clarke speaks.

"indeed it is. their all yours." the principal replied, then left the room.

y/n and max tried leaving, and going to sit down at two empty desks.

"all right. hold up there, you both don't get away that easy." mr. clarke stops them. "come on up, don't be shy."

y/n rolls her eyes, as her and max walked back up to the front of the classroom.

"dustin, drum roll." mr. clarke instructs.

dustin repeatedly banged on the desk to create a drum roll sound.

"class, please welcome, all the way from sunny california, the latest passengers to join us on our curiosity voyage, maxine and y/n!" mr. clarke excitedly introduces.

dustin then stopped the drumroll.

"it's max." max corrected mr. clarke.

"sorry?" mr. clarke says confused.

"nobody calls her maxine. it's max." y/n tells him.

"mad max." lucas whispered to dustin in his desk.

"well, all aboard, y/n and max." mr. clarke welcomes them.

y/n and max hurriedly went to sit down at an empty seat, both of them sitting in the back of the classroom.

y/n noticed four boys staring at her and max, and she just stared back at them confusedly, with her arms crossed.

-

mike, will, lucas, and dustin watched through the gate as max and y/n skated around.

"there's no way that's mad max." mike rants.

"yeah. girls don't play video games." will agrees.

"and even if they did, you can't get 750,000 points on dig dug." mike adds. "i mean, that's impossible."

"but her name is max." lucas reminds mike.

"so what?" mike asks him.

"so, how many maxes do you know?" lucas reminds him.

"i don't know." mike replies.

"zero. that's how many." lucas added.

"yeah, and she shows up at school the day after someone with her same name breaks our top score." dustin said.

"exactly!" lucas says. "so she's gotta be mad max. she's gotta be."

"and plus they skateboard, so they're pretty awesome." dustin said, amazed by max and y/n.

"awesome?" mike sarcastically asks her. "you haven't even spoken a word to them."

"i don't have to, i mean look at them- shit i've lost the target." dustin speaks, but then once he turns back, he didn't see max or y/n.

"oh- there." will points, they watched as y/n and max walked up the stairs, and y/n threw a piece of paper in the garbage, walking into the school.

the boys immediately ran over to the trash, trying to see what y/n threw in the trash.

they stop once they reach the trash, and then dustin went to go dig in the trash for the paper as mike, will, and lucas awkwardly waved at the people passing them.

dustin found the note in the trash that y/n threw away, he unraveled the note.

stop spying me creeps.

"well, shit." dustin muttered, as mike had a smile on his face.

"william byers." the principal called.

will turned to the principal in confusion.

"your mothers here." the principal tells will.

"you guys think he's okay?" dustin asks them.

"he's always weird when he has to go in." lucas says.

"i don't know. he's quiet today." mike adds, as he watched will walk away with a sad look on his face.

"he's always quiet." lucas says.

-