Twenty Three.

Ms Jones and I spent the next day at Central Park, taking a walk and feeding the birds some crumbs as we spoke. I'd be off to Miami first thing in the morning, thanks to Pattie. She'd organised a flight for me because I wanted to surprise Justin. He probably thought I'd be gone all week but I did miss him and thought of him constantly.

I found it rather humorous that Ms Jones had told a lie at work so she could spend this day with me. She told Mr Smith that she had a fever. It was unlike Ms Jones because she loved her work at the hotel but I appreciated that she went through the trouble to get the day off.

"Dileah, I want you to talk to Justin about what happened. Tell him how you feel." She said as we walked. "It'll be good for you both."

I agreed.

"If you go about it the right way. If you play the blame game..."

"I'll make sure that doesn't happen." I promised myself and Ms Jones. "Justin and I have a weird way of solving our issues. It always ends with a laugh or something." I recalled the morning I'd made breakfast for him after our little misunderstanding.

"That's good then." Ms Jones smiled.

"You know, Ms Jones, I'm very lucky to have you in my life. You always steer me the right way. I appreciate that."

"You're most welcome, dear. I told you before, you're like a daughter to me. I only want what's best for you."

I smiled, "Sometimes I think my mom brought you into my life. Do you ever feel that way? That maybe you didn't have children of your own so you could be my motherly figure?"

"I believe that. I often think that when I look at you. God works in mysterious ways, Dileah. You need to know that all the time."

"Do you think that my situation's like yours?" I asked. "Maybe I'm at the home working with all those kids and that's God's plan for me? Maybe I'm yet to change one of their lives?"

"You never know, dear. Anything is possible, just be patient. You may be surprised and one day find that, by some miracle, you're pregnant and everything goes smoothly."

I smiled sadly, "I wish that would happen. Nothing would make me happier than carrying Justin's child. A little... mixed baby with cute chubby cheeks, soft curly hair and Justin's eyes."

"That would be lovely." Ms Jones smiled at me.

I sighed.

"Everything happens for a reason." She said. "There is a time and place for everything."

"What's it time for now?" I wondered.

"Time to build your relationship with Justin a little more. Once you get past this, nothing will be impossible."

I hoped Ms Jones was right.

"How are you human, Ms Jones?" I smiled. "I wish I could put you in my phone as an app so I can have access to your advice whenever I need it. You're like... Siri but with better answers."

Ms Jones giggled.

"First you wanted to put me in your pocket, now you want me as an app."

"You'd save lives if you were an app. Trust me."

"I'll be your personal app. Just a phone call away." Ms Jones smiled and linked our arms.

I chuckled, "That's... that's not how apps work, Ms Jones."

"Well, I wouldn't know." She rolled her eyes and waved her hand dismissively.

--

Early in the morning, I was packed and ready to head back to Miami-- physically ready. My heart was still on NYC with Ms Jones and I didn't want to have to say goodbye again.