The Father's Box

At the Right Arm headquarters, the travellers sipped on water and dressed in some new clothes. They sat around a table with food, questions were aimed at Amelia.

"Why didn't you tell us Vince was your father?" Harriet asked curiously.

"I felt a little embarrassed. And I thought it would be best to say it in person once we reunited with him. After Thomas and Edward revealed everything to me when they rescued me, I still felt unready to truly believe it. But now I have," Amelia said as she sat next to her father who smiled at her lovingly.

"How did you come to be the leader of the Right Arm?" Aris asked the man.

"It all began when my wife Ava took over WICKED. From what Thomas and Edward had reported to me with what they supplied to Mary, it seemed she had overthrown its founders and had begun illegal experimentations on children. She took Amelia away from me and I never saw her again. I had worried for years but then Mary came to me and told me she was alive. With the information the brothers had provided her, I formed this Right Arm from survivors desperate to put an end to WICKED's tyrannical ways,"

"How can you be certain your men will find Edward in this city?" Brenda asked, worried, scared for him. And her surrogate father too. She was petrified at the thought of what WICKED would do to him. Would they kill him? Torture him for information on their whereabouts?

"Don't worry Brenda. They'll find him," Sonya said positively. "And we'll rescue Jorge too,"

Amelia rubbed Brenda's back in comfort. "I'm so sorry Brenda," she felt so guilty that she hadn't managed to get everyone here safely.

"Is Thomas okay?" Chuck asked Minho worriedly.

Minho didn't answer for a long while. By the looks of his shrivelled face, he looked rather nervous. "I can't say for sure Chuck. In our cells, we could hear his screams all over the compound. They've caused him so much pain trying to get that information,"

Aris asked the next question. "Did he give in?"

"He did. The guards said that he was doing it so they would give the serum they were harvesting to Newt,"

Pale colours painted Amelia and Chuck's faces.

"You mean Newt's..." Chuck drifted off.

"He's not immune like us," Minho answered gravely. "Some of us were placed inside the trials to be control subjects. Thomas said he'd give them the information if they agreed to give Newt and everyone else the serum to help them hold out against the Flare if they caught it,"

"Were they on the same train as you guys?" Amelia asked.

"They were. But in a different compartment. Gally and the others couldn't find them before WICKED's reinforcements arrived. They'll be locked up inside the city now along with the other Immunes they couldn't rescue in time,"

"We're going to break the non-Immunes out too," Amelia said determinedly.

"Think first," her father said.

"Dad, we can't abandon Newt and the others. They're our friends!"

"I'm sorry Amelia, but if we let Cranks into the Safe Haven, it won't last a week,"

"Then we'll get every vial of serum that WICKED has in their storages,"

"And when we run out?" Vince hated, upsetting his daughter like this. "I truly am sorry guys. But we cannot allow the infected to live in the Safe Haven. Even if we were able to gain large supplies of that serum,"

The teens were breathless. They wanted to argue but his reasons were precise. Sonya began to cry so Aris gave her a side-hug of comfort. Chuck disheartened was and comforted by Amelia. With Edward absent, her loving arms were his only source of surrogate comfort.