Attack on the Glade

Edward and Teresa climbed down the tower to reach the others. 

"What's going on?" Teresa asked.

"The doors aren't closing," Newt said. 

The brothers sent each other pale glances. This was not good. It was already dark and the gates were the only thing that they could keep them safe at night from the Grievers. Edward, in particular, feared that the advanced Griever would come. 

They rushed over to the gates that remained open carrying torches. Everyone waited patiently hoping the gates would close. But nothing happened. 

"That doesn't look good," Edward said. 

They heard another loud 'clang'. Everyone turned right and saw doors on the right side of the Glade opening. 

A third 'clang' came. Everyone turned around to see the Glade's south walls drifting apart. 

"Oh no," Thomas breathed. 

"We've got to do something," Edward said. 

"We have to hide," Newt said. "Chuck! Go to the council hut and tell everyone to start barricading the entrances! Minho! Go and grab every weapon you can!"

Chuck and Minho dashed off with some boys. 

"Edward! Teresa! You two are going to gather everyone and make sure they get to the council hut! Thomas, you and I are going to get Alby!" 

Thomas, Edward and Teresa nodded. Before they could even take a step, a sudden shriek echoed across the Glade. Everyone looked back to where its source came from. They saw a Griever in the far distance. 

"Everybody hide!" Thomas shouted. 

Instantly everyone scurried off. All except Edward who remained stuck where he was as if he was entranced by their appearance. 

Teresa managed to pull him away. The group rushed into the crop fields kneeling close to the soil. Thomas pressed his finger over his lips. Everyone remained quiet. 

They heard screeching from outside. Then sudden quick screams. Everyone bit their tongues to try not to scream. Thomas and Edward peered their heads up. Out of the corner of their eyes, they saw a giant claw-like tail. It sprung down and grabbed Zart. 

"Zart!" Thomas shouted. He tried to help him but Newt pulled him back. 

Zart was flung into the air out of their sight. They heard his scream. 

"Everyone run!" Edward shouted. "Come on!" Everyone sprinted towards the array of huts, hearing Grievers closing in behind them. Newt and Thomas barged into the medical hut where already Jeff and Clint were helping Alby get up. 

"What's going on?" Alby asked.

"Grievers! They're here!" Thomas panicked. 

"Come on!" Newt pulled an arm over his shoulders. Thomas did the other. They dragged Alby outside and rejoined Thomas's brother and the others who helplessly watched as more and more Grievers killed more and more Gladers. It was horrifying to watch. They saw no sign of Gally and his hooligans who had split up with them and took shelter under the ground doors inside the box. 

Edward tried to lead them one way past Frypan's cook hut but it was smashed to pieces when a Griever came sliding in front of them to block their path. 

Teresa suddenly grabbed a lantern and charged towards a Griever.

"Teresa!" Edward screamed, worried for her. 

With great bravery, Teresa threw the lantern and the Griever was set on fire. It screeched in pain. 

"Nice!" Edward complimented, pulling her back with him again.