Hope

The survivors said nothing the next morning. They had lost. There were only fifty of their party left now. Edward was crying softly. Chuck was the only one he accepted comfort from. He hugged the poor boy who wanted comfort too.

Aris and Harriet sat down together, heartbroken from losing Sonya and everyone else. Amelia sat in front of Mary's lifeless body which lay lifelessly on a stretcher. She kissed her soft head as she mourned. Brenda wanted to come over and comfort Edward, but Jorge silently told her not to. Right now, he only felt like having Chuck's company. Still, that didn't stop Brenda from feeling so sorry for Edward. He had been separated from his brother a second time. And it was more painful.

Harriet was the first one to break the silence. "So what happens now?" she spoke up.

Edward held his head up and stared around at all the destruction WICKED had caused to the camp. He stood up and grabbed a knapsack and tied it around his shoulder. "Jorge, take everyone as far away as possible,"

"Wait, where are you going?" Brenda asked.

Edward stood up brave and determined. "I'm going to save my brother and friends,"

"By yourself?" breathed Chuck.

"Thomas and I made a promise to each other when we were boys, that we would always take care of each other. And we promised Amelia we would get her friends out of the Maze. I'm now making the promise to save them from WICKED,"

"Edward, WICKED just kicked our ass. Jerry nearly killed you. We're done,"

"I'm not asking anyone to come with me," said Edward.

"Edward..." Aris said. "If there was any way we could save our friends, I would be right up there standing next to you. This is what you're talking about...is impossible,"

More like suicide," added Brenda.

"Maybe," said Edward, accepting how reckless he was as well as brave. "But I know this is something I have to do," he slung a rifle around his shoulder. "And it's not just about Thomas, Newt, Minho...or any of our friends. It's about all of us. It's about everyone WICKED has ever taken, everyone they will take. They'll never stop. So, I'm going to stop them. I'm going to save my brother. And then we're going to kill Ava Paige, once and for all,"

His words seemed to reignite the spark in everyone's eyes. Amelia stood up armed and ready. "You and your brother risked everything to get me and our friends out of that Maze. If we don't something now, then it means it was all for nothing. I will gladly follow you anywhere," she proclaimed.

"As would I," Chuck stepped up; he picked up his rifle. Edward smiled at his courage. Though the youngest member, he had the biggest heart.

"And I," said Aris.

Harriet stood up. And so did Jorge and Brenda who looked at Edward with an admirable smile, the same smile she had expressed to him before when she saw him as a selfless boy becoming a strong man. Unexpectantly he was flushed by her rosy cheeks grinning up at him. It seemed to give him the courage he needed to rise above his self-doubts. Everyone stood up looking up at Edward, their new leader.

"So, what's your plan?" Jorge asked.

Everyone tilted their heads to Edward. He hadn't quite prepared for this. He half-closed his eyes just for a moment and when he opened them up again, he said, "We track down WICKED. Gather everything you can. We set off now,"

In a small cell, strapped to a chair in chains and only wearing a shirt and pants, Thomas silently cried, eyes closed all the time. He had been separated from his brother again. The last time he saw him he was wounded and bleeding on the face. He cried for Newt whom he had been separated from again. He was on a cargo ship with Minho and the others. And he didn't know if they were okay or not.

A click of the door made him open his wet eyes. He saw Janson entering.

"Enjoying your new quarters?" he taunted.

Thomas said nothing but he glared at him.

"No words? No insults?" he mocked.

Thomas wouldn't let him have the satisfaction. "Where are my friends?"

"They're in some nice quarters," lied Janson. "Not as good as yours though,"

"You will pay for what you did to Mary," Thomas swore.

"I suggest you get prepared. We're taking you to our main compound. Once we're there, we're going to extract every memory from that important mind of yours. We're going to use it to figure out whatever it is that your foolish father hid from us,"

"He wasn't foolish. He was a good man. Far better than you,"

Janson huffed. "You know I did love your mother once Thomas,"

Thomas was surprised but he refused to show it to his captor.

"She was an amazing woman. What I couldn't understand was why she chose Stephen over me, why she chose to have you two,"

"Maybe because she saw something inside you that deemed you unworthy," this Thomas was enjoying the game of taunt.

"I suggest you get comfortable," warned Janson. "You're going to go through a very painful procedure,"

"If you're trying to scare me, it's not working. I've already suffered more pain than I ever felt," Thomas said back bravely.

"I think you will be experiencing that. Once...we get your brother..." Janson leaned in closer to his face. "...And we do the same thing to him too,"

Thomas didn't flinch but his heartbeat accelerate. Janson pulled his face back and turned around to walk out. "You will never find my brother," Janson stopped but didn't turn to him. "You will never catch him. He is the bravest, most determined boy who has ever lived,"

Janson swerved around slowly. "You're a faithful man Thomas but what you don't realise is that we don't need to find your brother," he marched wickedly upon his prisoner. "We need him to find you,"

His words made Thomas quiver. He couldn't hide it.

Grinning with cruel rat teeth, Janson turned and walked out of the cell. The doors closed and Thomas was once again imprisoned in the room of white with no friends, no comfort, and no motivation to keep him brave. All he could think about was his beloved brother out there with few friends and no idea what he would be walking into. But he knew one thing. Edward was never going to stop until they were reunited again. 

And that's the Scorch Trials chapters done. Just the Death Cure ones to go and then the story is done. I hope you all are enjoying this. The next four chapters will be character profiles for Jerry, Amelia, Stephen and Danielle. See you all soon for Death Cure Chapter. Bye!