The Flare / Gally's Death

The lights flickered back on. The three boys stared around, wondering what they had just done. "What just happened?" Chuck asked.

"I think you've just deactivated everything," Thomas said.

"Where are the others?" Newt suddenly asked. He was looking at all the cameras. None of them showed their friends.

"Where are they?" Chuck freaked out.

"No. We couldn't have been being too late," Thomas was afraid he had failed everyone.

"We're here guys!" It was Minho. 

They turned around and saw him, Frypan and at least thirty other boys. They were all that survived.

"Thank god," Thomas breathed in relief rushing to them.

"What took you guys so long?" Frypan asked.

"We just had to type words into a computer," Newt explained crossing his arms. "Then Chuckie here saved the day," he ruffled the youngest Glader's hair. 

"It was nothing," he shrugged.

"It's over. It's all over," Winston sighed in relief. 

"We're free," Frypan looked exhausted.

"What about Edward and Teresa?" Chuck reminded them, his tone scared. 

Thomas's excitement dropped like a stone. "Oh no," Quickly he glanced around at every camera in the room. There was no sign of Edward or Teresa. "No. No. They can't be gone," he was scared. He wouldn't give up. He tried to find at least one sign that they were alive but they saw nothing.

"No," he shook his head. A tear escaped his eye. He felt Chuck hugging his side. He embraced him back. He felt a soft hand clasp his shoulder. He turned and saw it was Newt, lips pressed together, his eyes wet. 

"I'm sorry Thomas," Minho said sadly.

"What's with the sad faces?" someone's voice called behind them. 

The group turned around. To their luck, they saw Teresa and Edward walking towards them. 

"Edward!" Thomas sprinted over to his brother and pulled him into his arms. His younger brother hugged him tightly. He pulled back and cupped his cheeks. "Don't ever scare me like that again," 

Chuck bounded forward and embraced him tightly. "We thought you were dead,"

Edward chuckled in tears. "I don't go down that easily Chuckie," he ruffled his hair. 

"How did you guys get out?" Minho asked.  

"We were on the top of a maze wall but then this tunnel appeared right next to us and we slid down and ended up in a dark private room. We just followed the corridors and ended up here," Teresa explained. "There's a whole series of tunnels in those walls and around these corridors," 

"When we shut down the maze...we've must have activated that tunnel to bring you two over to us," Thomas said.

Newt noticed someone was missing. "Where's Alby?" he asked, his voice instantly paralysed. 

Edward hung his head down to hide his tears. Teresa was the only face in the room brave enough to show a despondent look with tears raining down her cheeks. She shook her head. 

Thomas knew exactly what that meant. He shared a pale glance with Newt who was struck. Everyone else shared glances of despondency with one another. Thomas saw how guilty Edward looked and he pulled him into his arms.

"We were attacked by a titan griever. He saved us," he sobbed. "But it cost him his life. It's my fault,"

"No. No. No. Don't say that Edward," Teresa clasped his shoulder. "You're not responsible for his choice,"