A Night in the Maze

Whilst Edward had spent the evening alone, worried for his brother, Thomas had been helping Minho heave the heavy Alby around the corners of the maze paths.

"What were you thinking?" Minho cursed him.

"You and Alby were right there. It didn't feel right just leaving you guys there knowing I could do something,"

"But what about your brother?" Minho reminded him. "You think you go in there knowing your brother would be worried about you?"

Thomas just closed his eyes. He didn't want to talk about his little brother at the moment who he knew would be constantly worried bout him. "What happened?"

"We went to where Ben ran to yesterday. And he got stung. HE attacked me. I struck him and I had to haul him all along this way,"

They said nothing else after that. The sun was already beginning to set behind the stone walls. They still carried Alby around corners until they started panting.

"Put him down," They settled Alby right against the wall. Thomas, exhausted, collapsed right next to him.

Minho kneeled next to him, exhausted too.

Just then they heard screeching in the far distance. Minho was up and ready to get going again. "Come on. We gotta go," he urged trying to pull Thomas up onto his worn-out feet.

"No. Wait. What about Alby?"

"We have to go now,"

"We're not leaving him. Are you saying there's nowhere to hide him?"

Minho suddenly lashed out and grabbed his collar. "List to me, shuck -face. Look around. There's nowhere to go," he let Thomas go and stood back up. "You don't get it. We're already dead,"

But Thomas wasn't goanna give up. He promised his brother he would get back to him and that was that.

Just then an idea popped into his head. "What about that?" he pointed to a wall of long ivy vines.

"You think that's goanna work?" Minho snapped.

"You got any better ideas?" Thomas challenged. "This is only option we have right now," he walked back to Alby and started pulling him away. "Well come on! Help me!"

Minho sighed exasperatedly. "Be lucky you've someone who needs you, or I'd be leaving your butt now,"

After what seemed like hours of climbing, Edward finally reached the top of the wall. He fell onto his back, cringing in pain. He grunted in pain, clutching his bandanaed hand which had now stained his wrappings in more blood.

He stood up carefully, looking right ahead of him. All he saw in front of him were towers of stone covered in ivy and plants. He could hear rumbling everywhere. It was just like last night and the night before. The Maze was changing. The chorus of Grievers screeching echoed in his head too. It was scary.

For a long moment he almost tempted himself to go back the way he came. He looked back down at the Glader seeing only torch lights in front of the sleeping quarters. No was awake or had seen him.

He would surely be in trouble if they found out he was up and had climbed the wall. But then he remembered his brother. He looked back forward at the Maze walls and towers. He made his choice. He walked along the top of the wall to try and find a way down or another wall to walk over to try and spot Thomas and Minho with Alby from above. He was going to find them. Even if it might take all night.

He found another path to walk along. Stepping close to the edge, he looked down to search for his brother and friends. He didn't think to shout out, afraid that he would put them in danger by drawing Grievers closer to them even if he was near them. He didn't see them. He reached the end of a pathway.