The Crank City

Edward sat up hyperventilating. He rubbed his eyes. It was broad daylight and not a lot of parties were awake.

"Eddie? Eddie?" Chuck's voice rang in his head as he saw his dear friend kneel next to him. "Are you okay? You've looked like you've had a bad nightmare,"

Edward didn't have to answer. He was already pale in the face.

"What happened?"

Edward took in a deep breath, picturing the girl in his head again from the dream which had haunted his head all night. "That girl Amelia, the one whose necklace Minho keeps,"

"Yeah. She was like a big sister to me," Chuck said sadly. "Even though it was only for a short period since I arrived,"

"I think...I think me and Thomas rescued her. Maybe that's why we were sent up as punishment because we messed with the Maze Trials,"

Chuck clasped his shoulder. "You mean she's alive?"

"I don't know," Edward remorsefully shook his head. "I don't want to get your hopes up,"

Chuck hugged him tightly. "Thank you so much, Ed,"

Edward hugged him tightly. "We have to move. Thomas and the others have no idea what they're walking into,"

Chuck nodded. They both stood up.

"Everyone. We need to head off. I don't want to rush you but some friends of ours are walking into a trap," apologised Edward.

"No need to remind us twice," Harriet said standing up with Sonya and Aris. "We want to thank you Edward for getting Aris to us,"

"It's Aris who deserves the credit. If it wasn't for him, we never would have made it out of that compound," Edward fondly complimented his nervous friend. "You did heroic buddy," he offered a high five which Aris smacked his hand against loudly.

"Let's go," Sonya said. The large group consisting of twenty girls including Harriet, Brenda, Sonya, and Teresa and three boys: Edward, Aris and Chuck began their long walk towards the Crank City.

Edward could see that Teresa was keeping her distance from the group; he frowned. He wondered what was up with her. He had never seen her act so strange before. He was about to walk forward when Brenda popped out of nowhere.

"You sleep okay?" she asked.

"Yeah. Apart from a crazy memory dream, just fine," he answered flatly.

"Hey. We're going to make it to Thomas," Brenda assured. "Jorge will keep him safe. He's handy with guns. He taught me everything I know. Driving, mastering a gun, combat,"

"Sound like he's everything anyone could ever want. You're lucky you had him. All Thomas and I had was a manipulative doctor who made us think experimenting on our friends was a good idea,"

"You guys are heroes. You led your friends out here and you helped them escape the Maze," Brenda said.

"I don't think we'd call ourselves heroes," Edward said.

"Why not? Who are the ones who saved their lives and were willing to give them? Who are the ones are doing whatever it takes to keep innocent children and teenagers safe from WICKED? Who's the one who just saved my life?" Brenda truly did see Edward as a hero and he uncannily enjoyed hearing her speaking like that. "You're stronger than you give yourself credit for Edward,"

"Not as strong as you Brenda," he said.

"Maybe. Maybe it's because girls are a lot stronger than boys,"

"Or maybe we are and you don't want to see it that way," Edward teased, earning a chuckle from Brenda. He chuckled back.

Ahead of them, Teresa heard their chuckles and turned her head to see their amusing faces. She felt red from envy, and not the sun.