Finding Answers

Thomas and Edward couldn't sleep much that night. They were too busy worrying about whether their plan would work or whether bad events would turn up soon for the both of them and their friends. They decided to wait until the night before setting their plan into motion, at the moment when Janson would possibly call up a list of names. They felt tempted to tell their friends what they had seen but they weren't sure they would believe them. Not after how these people had saved them from the Maze, healed Edward and gave them food, clothes, and comforts. Reluctantly they decided they would keep it secret for the time being.

They sat down with their friends. Thomas happily watched his brother chat with Chuck. He could tell a deep connection had formed between the two. His mind was half on them and half on other things.

"What are you thinking about?" Newt asked him.

"What?" Thomas had half-heard what he said.

"You're doing that thing again when you're thinking. Dreams again?"

Thomas shook his head. "Not really. Just a lot of my mind. I do wish I could remember more,"

"You don't need to worry about that now. We're free from the Maze and soon we'll all gonna be somewhere safe,"

"Sometimes I feel like it's not over. I just think that,"

"You'll feel much better once we move somewhere new Tommy," Newt patted his book.

"I don't know how to feel better. We may have escaped the Maze but I can't escape my memories,"

"Stop fighting them, Tommy. Let them flow. Don't dwell on them. What's done before has passed. And what matters now is what you and your brother did to save us,"

Thomas chuckled softly. "That means a lot coming for you. I want to thank you Newt,"

"For what?"

"For supporting us all this time,"

Newt chuckled back. "Do you think my sibling will be happy to see me? Do you think he or she might have the other half of the necklace?"

"Of course, they will," Thomas assured. "And I bet that they're thinking the same thing about you right now,"

Newt was touched again.

Edward noticed the link between his brother and Newt across from him. Something in his heart told him it was something very strong. Before he could dwell on it, Janson appeared at the front of the room and read out names again. They waited patiently as he spoke out each name at a slow pace.

"And finally...." he didn't look at the list as if his mind was already made up. "Thomas,"

The Gladers and Edward stared at Thomas. He was a little agitated. Edward was more nervous.

"Thomas!" Janson's voice rose higher. He eyed Thomas at the back and everyone looked at him. He swallowed the lump in his throat. He looked at his brother nervously. He then stood up, seeing Newt's encouraging face. It made him feel brave. He took Edward's hand and pulled him away from the table. They both approached Janson and Jerry whom Edward could see was holding a keycard in his belt.

They were stopped.

"I specifically just said Thomas and not you as well as Edward," Janson blocked them both. "So why don't you go back and sit down?"

"With all due respect, why must I be separated from my brother and friends?" Thomas asked.

"Because you're ready to move on and they aren't, now come on we have a schedule to follow," Janson ordered. Jerry tried to push Edward away but Edward shoved his arm away.