Chapter 18: Vecna's Army

"Shit, shit shit!" Jonathan panicked wildly, as he looked on whilst Jonah seemingly approached Avila and Steve. The untrustworthy soldier moved in on them, appearing to make light conversation before another of his military personnel removed Steve hastily. As he was dragged off, Jonathan kept a close eye on him. Following their every move, it appeared they were taking him over to the bar at first. In a quick turn of events, they quickly dispersed behind a nearby door. The very same one Nancy had been interested in investigating.
Panicking some more, Jonathan had become lost in thought and terror that he'd lost sight of his girlfriend for a few seconds. Scanning the room, he failed to find her.
"Shit!" He cursed again, this time loudly enough to draw some attention from nearby party-ers. Jonathan didn't have the time or energy to care however, as he fumbled around trying to grasp the walkie talkie from the lengthy pocket of his trench coat. Fiddling with the buttons, he bellowed into the microphone in a frenzy.
"Robin! Dustin?! Anybody?" He shouted. "We have a situation here!"

Back on the dance floor, Avila too found herself in too much of a frenzy to even notice Steve's disappearance. She was instead solely focused on the task at hand, distracting Jonah. Now she had him in her grasp, she couldn't allow anything to mess this up for her, or the team.
"You're shaking." He mentioned, taking her hand in his own delicately, before placing his other around her waist. "Nervous?"
Pulling her closer towards him all of a sudden, Avila failed to come up with an instant response. She hadn't seen this guy in days. The last recollection she had of her time with him involved Jonah almost dragging her into the Upside Down, seemingly to be killed or captured by whatever greater power was controlling him right now. She could tell by his sweating,along with the dilation of his eyes every now and then.
"I'm so glad you're here Avila." He smiled widely, leaning in slowly to talk ever so quietly into her ear as the pair began swaying back and forth. The melody of the music changed almost instantly to allow this display to appear normal to any onlookers.
"I was hoping to speak to you actually." He added. "How are you finding life in Hawkins so far?"
"Fine." She lied, remaining stern faced. Every opportunity she had, she scanned the room frantically in search of Steve, or Jonathan. Or, if beggars can't be choosers even Nancy at this point. Anybody who could help her. Failing to conceal her panic from him, it didn't take long for Jonah to pick up on what she was doing.
"Looking for someone?" He teased, glaring down at her, his tone of voice altering to that designed to intimidate her. Scare her. "Eddie Munson, perhaps?"
"Excuse me?" She questioned him, briskly moving away from him causing some disturbance among the other dancers. People seemed to notice the two of them talking more now and this bothered Jonah greatly. He aspired to carry out his own plan peacefully, but Avila was very quickly disrupting that plan.
"I don't know Eddie-"
"Liar." Jonah briskly took hold of her by the arm, gripping her tightly as he once again pulled her in close enough to be within earshot of his wicked warning. "I know you've seen him. I know you've been near him, been with him..."
"Jonah, that's impossible." She winced. "Eddie Munson is dead."
"Then why did he tell me he's alive?" Jonah bellowed, as he did the crowds surrounding them disappeared from sight, leaving behind an empty room, engulfed by darkness. Nothing at all could be seen around them, nothing but shadows and dusk. Its as though his sudden outburst had provoked the reality they were in to change.
Seemingly alone, Jonah began to pace back and forth, his anger clearly bubbling on the surface as he huffed and sighed.
"Who told you, Jonah?" Avila asked bravely.
At first, she received no answer from him. He carried on pacing, his breathing gaining a much quicker pace as he began muttering to himself.
"Jonah, who-"
Out of nowhere, he rushed over and grabbed her harshly by the arms.
"He told me Eddie was with you!" He declared. "You and him were together and that's not what I want and he told me he could help me get what I wanted so-"
"So what, Jonah?!" Avila gently cupped his face, staring deeply into his eyes for just long enough to witness them changing before her. They darkened completely, becoming empty and lost. When he'd spoken before, he'd evidently been speaking from the heart. Perhaps, Jonah had become free of his torment and capture for just long enough to talk with Avila. To warn her. To give her a vital insight into what chaos and horror was enslaving him.
Nevertheless, his eyes remained dull and empty, as though his soul had vanished from within his body. Staring powerfully into her eyes now, Jonah remained still. The silence within the room was almost deafening. Avila thought it insane to actually miss the hustle and bustle of the party she was at mere minutes ago. Moments passed, and the two found themselves within a stand off.
Out of nowhere, Jonah quickly moved towards her, placing his two fingers upon the temple of her forehead. With one brisk swipe of his fingers, Avila was placed under a trance, knocked unconscious. Completely and utterly, helpless.