Chapter 17: The Steve Harrington Experience

"One, two, three..."
Dustin counted out his many walkie talkies as he laid them out carefully on the table. An hour had passed and Eddie found himself almost at the bottom of his third bottle. Steve had left to get himself ready for the night, as had Nancy.
Glancing over at the bedroom door for what appeared to be the 100th time, Eddie became irritable.
"What takes them so long anyway?" He moaned. Referring completely to the fact that Avila, Robin, El and Joyce had been in there for what felt like forever, Eddie couldn't understand what was holding them up.
"It's a girl thing." Mike explained. "All that makeup and stuff, they don't just wake up with it on their faces they actually have to make the effort to like paint it on..."
"You make it sound like they're disguising themselves." Will noticed.
"Some chick's are." Eddie interrupted. Gesturing to his own face, he performed circular motions. "It's like witchcraft dude, completely different people from one moment to the next."
"I suppose makeup does help for one thing." Dustin suggested. "Most girls look beautiful whilst wearing it."
"Some girls don't need it." Eddie mumbled, taking another sip.
"Like Avila?" Mike teased, much to the pleasure of his friend's who sniggered at Eddie. In response, he directed them a stern middle finger before placing his bottle down firmly.
"I've had enough of this now." He declared. Jumping up from his seat in the armchair, Eddie stormed off towards the room that was once his. Before it had been turned into a beauty salon this afternoon.
His behaviour was so erratic, he had no idea what he was doing from one moment to the next. Upon reaching the door, he barged in, much to the surprise of the women inside.
Before him sat Avila upon the bed, Robin at her side putting what appeared to be rollers in her hair. El was working on painting her toe nails whilst Joyce made a start on the makeup.
Upon seeing Avila like this, Eddie found himself lost. She was barely made-up, but he believed she looked beautiful.
"Ever heard of knocking, Dingus?" Robin scolded him. "This is a very important task were undertaking yanno?"
Every woman in the room looked at him. Feeling overwhelmed and intimidated, Eddie decided not to demand his room back at that current time, instead, he grabbed his nearby black hoodie from the closet and turned to leave.
"Eddie." Avila spoke softly as he headed for the door. As much as he found her beautiful, Eddie's emotions were still in a muddle. He wasn't thinking straight so, choosing to ignore her, he walked out, pulling the door shut sharply behind him.
"Eddie?!" She called to him again before the door slammed shut. "What is with him right now?"
"It's Eddie Munson." Robin stated. "What's wrong with him is a continuous topic of discussion."
The more she thought about Eddie, Avila couldn't hide the worry on her face any longer.
"You and your boyfriend had a fight?" Joyce asked her, noticing the look of sadness upon Avila's face as she continued her makeup.
"Oh, he's not my boyfriend." Avila informed her sweetly.
Taken aback, Joyce stopped for a moment, the look of disbelief upon her face.
"Does he know that?" She chuckled. "Because trust me honey, I've never seen a boy get in a strop like that over a girl who's just a friend?"
Looking to Robin for guidance, Avila was annoyed to see just how much her cousin was revelling in this interrogation. This is exactly what she wanted. For Avila to be honest and face facts.
"We're just friends." Avila stated strongly, glancing at the door. "Well, we were anyway."
"I'm surprised, I'll admit that." Joyce said. "I've only been in your company a couple of hours and I've seen the way you look at each other."
Avila looked to the floor as she began to blush. How could she argue, she thought. Time and time again, people could see what was happening between her and Eddie and each time she struggled more and more to deny it.
"Do you really think he looks at me like that?" Avila asked Joyce, bravely, unsure of the outcome.
Joyce nodded slowly, smiling.
"It's so obvious." Robin chimed in. "And if you two don't do something about it soon, I'm tempted to lock you both inside Pamela until you do..."
Giggling, the girls continued their quest to get Avila ready for her first ever Hawkins party.
In the living room, Eddie sheepishly returned to his seat, clutching his hoodie. As he sat down, Dustin noticed the look of regret upon his face.
"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked him. "Because if not i-"
"You'll what Dustin?" Eddie spat. "Stay here with me tonight whilst everyone else has an adventure? Don't play me for a fool."
As Dustin attempted to fight back, the door to the cabin opened suddenly. In walked Steve, wearing head to toe black clothing, complimented nicely with a sleek suit jacket. His hair had been combed and styled. He was ready for the party.
"Looking good." Mike complimented him firstly. "Definitely playing the part of the date..."
"Date?" Following behind shortly after, Nancy appeared out of nowhere, carrying a bright pink dress over her arm. She was too indeed dressed for the evening. As she questioned Mike's statement, Steve found himself staring longingly at her.
"We never said it was a date." Steve reminded the younger boys, quickly snapping himself out of his daydream. "I suppose it could be a double date though, where is Jonathan anyway?"
Approaching the bedroom, Nancy simply said "Outside" before she entered the room and shut herself in furiously. Her abrupt attitude towards Steve was peculiar to say the least. The younger boys were taken aback by her outburst, looking to Steve himself for answers. After all, he was their elder, their role model and muse. If anybody in that room could figure out the intricate and confusing mind of a female, it was Steve Harrington.