𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝑰𝒔 𝑨 𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒚 𝑩𝒖𝒓𝒅𝒆𝒏

Twenty Eight

There was a ghost of yearning in his eyes swimming behind the confusion as if he was fighting the curse he's under but failing to do so.

I sighed and started moving away from him. "It's wishful thinking, really. He's not going to remember me anytime soon. He's cursed."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him fiddle with his ring. "I don't really have the power to know that. Even oracles have limits."

"It's all right. Seeing you was enough for me, for now."

"I did not say I couldn't be of help," He said, trying to make me feel better. "I've heard of this method, which was proven effective, to be used in order to make someone remember what they had forgotten, especially if their link is as strong as you have with your husband."

"You mean if there's love involved?"

"Exactly!"

"Well, I am doomed, then."

His brows furrowed. "Why? Don't you love your husband?"

"Oh, I do."

Realisation dawned upon him. "He doesn't love you, then? What a fool."

That made me chuckle. "He's not a fool, just incapable of love so I do not know if he feels like that toward me yet."

"Then perhaps... you are not entirely doomed."

"Perhaps," I smiled. "What shall I do according to your previous suggestion? I am willing to try anything."

"It's relatively simple. You just have to find another way to remind him of that love. It could be in a form of art or a physical gesture. It's up to you."

I nodded. "All right. I shall keep that all in mind."

"I hope he'll remember you."

"Me too," I said. "Are you free this evening?"

"I think so. Why?"

"I'd like to test a theory and I want you to be there to witness it. Can you meet me at The Crimson Crow at 8?"

"I'll be there, princess."

Like a giddy teenager who's about to have a date that night, I cleaned up nicely and put on my best dress (as I snuck in and out of the palace) and patiently waited for Howl at the pub I invited him to.

We shared a drink on the table I reserved for us before he opened up about that theory of mine.

"Hold that thought." I said, leaving him on our spot to head on to the middle where the piano is placed.

Using my magic, I dimmed the lights from the candle torches around us and made a spotlight for myself to steal all of their attention, letting my action speak for the words I cannot say.

Heaving a deep sigh, I began playing a tune on the instrument that was lent to me that evening. Later on, when the time was right, I accompanied the melody with my voice.

You're on the air
I'm underground
Signals fading
Can't be found
I finally open up
For you, I would do anything
But you've turned off the volume
Just when I've begun to sing

My eyes searched for Howl and didn't let it go once I found it.

Come to your senses
Defenses are not the way to go
And you know, or at least you knew
Everything's strange, you've changed
And I don't know what to do to get through
I don't know what to do