𝑷𝒖𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒕 𝑶𝒇 𝑳𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔

Thirteen

Ercole steered his Vespa toward the hilltop and I followed on foot, making use of my limited skills in running.

Damn, I wish I could fly like Howl, I complained in my mind. Suddenly, I had a desire to see him and accept his previous offer of help.

No, no. You said you don't need him. Mean it. Besides, you were supposed to give him the distance he desires, weren't you? I scolded the unwanted thought that had just appeared in my mind.

I regretted trading vehicles with Henry. I would've caught up faster to that little mongrel I was after if my motorbike was with me.

He already reached and entered that creepy small establishment on top long before I could get there.

I leaned on one wall, catching my breath and peek on the nearby window to see what's inside.

"Giulia's right." I whispered, seeing two more boys, who were tied in chairs, inside with Ercole.

They looked like they were talking inside but I couldn't quite make out what they were saying. Ercole looked furious as he kept stomping his feet and pointing fingers to the two other boys aggressively. He also keeps glancing at the windows with fearful eyes time after time, making me duck so he won't see me.

I continued peeking every now and then, waiting for a moment so I could barge in without Ercole turning ballistic enough to harm the two poor boys.

I took time to assess and paint a plan on my head while looking around. Relief washed over me when I spotted the door and that it's ajar.

A breath later, I snuck myself in. I was able to hide behind a pillar not too far from the center where they are.

Ercole's back was facing me so I had a pretty clear view of the boys who were suffering from the image of his smug face.

"You think that I'd be scared enough to let you go now that the Sheriff is onto me?" Ercole said, following it with a scoff. "Oh, no, no. You two will stay here until you give in and tell me what I want to know."

"Bold of you to assume we were gonna cooperate in the first place." The slender yet quite muscular boy with tan skin and light freckles said, defying their captor. His bright green eyes highlighted his curly, golden-brown hair that is styled tall and has a cowlick as he moved his head when he uttered a taunt.

He's brave, I'll give him that. His face shows no trace of intimidation to Ercole and his antics, contradictory to the way they're tied in a chair, hands behind their back and all.

"I'm not expecting you at all, idioti. I know I can't reason with you. You're only here so I can frighten your friend enough to give me what I need."

The other boy, the slender one with fair skin, and wavy, dark brown hair has a flicker of fear hiding in his brown eyes. His already rosy cheeks flushed when the attention shifted to him. "You don't scare me, Ercole. I've dealt with boys worse than you at school. Besides, how many times must we repeat that we cannot help you? Alberto and I aren't capable of that. There is no way we could turn you into a fish folk. It's impossible. Even with magic, I can't see how that can happen."

"If you get cursed, then it probably can," Alberto laughed. "And honestly, we don't want you to be like us. You're the worst human ever, I don't see how you can be better as a sea monster."

"Yeah? Let's see about that, then."

Ercole stormed off, giving me an opportunity to approach the boys.

"Don't be afraid. I'm the Sheriff. I'm here to help."

"Santa Maria," Alberto exclaimed as they watched me walk closer to them. "He was right. You're going to save us.