𝑨 𝑭𝒖𝒔𝒔 𝑶𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝑯𝒂𝒊𝒓

Six

I can't remember how many times I paced in front of Calcifer already and yet Howl is still not finished taking a bath.

"Does he usually take an hour to make himself pretty?" I asked Calcifer who was rolling his eyes as he followed me with his gaze.

"He takes more than that so I suggest you do us both a favor by sitting down first."

I groaned. "Fine," I sat on the chair before him and glanced at the wristwatch that is hiding the tattoo which Rumple inked on me the day our deal formed. "But know this, I probably won't ask him out again. This would be the first and last time."

Calcifer chuckled. "I highly doubt that."

Markl, who was silently reading a book by the corner, chimed in. "Yeah, don't say that, Kalliste. If Master Howl's going to be my father now, I only want you to be my mom."

I frowned. "I didn't agree to such an arrangement, Markl."

"You didn't need to."

"I'm not going to stay here forever. At some point, I'm going to have to move out."

Calcifer snorted. "As if Howl is going to let you go. God, he's smitten."

"Yeah, right."

"Where will you move, Kalliste?" Markl sounded sad.

"I don't know yet, as well as when that will happen," I assured. "I reckon you're gonna have to put up with me for a long time, Markl. Don't worry."

"Hold on, Kalliste," Calcifer mused. "I've looked into your past over the times you spent sleeping down here," He pointed at that corner where my makeshift bed and the things that survived the fire are. That has been my bedroom since I declined Howl's offer to share his. "And I couldn't help but remember you telling people that you've only got your grandpa before he died."

"That's right."

Markl furrowed his brows. "Then why did Master Howl say you were going to take him to your father?"

"Because I am," I said. "He's not my father at birth. He's just this someone who I wish was the man who actually gave me life. He was there for me when I lost my grandpa, kindly taking me in as his own. I thought it'd be nice for Howl to meet him."

"He'd like that." Markl smiled, earning a gentle pat on the head from me.

"What about him, though?" I said, thinking out loud. "What about his family?"

"He doesn't share much about that. It's just been him since we met." Markl shared.

"Same goes to me," Calcifer followed. "But he always says that he's got a new one through us."

"You're a part of that now," Markl said. "Master Howl says so."

Just as that was established, an alarming yell coming from the bathroom upstairs broke the silence. The door slammed open and scattered footsteps headed for the stairs to get to us.

"Geez, Howl. Can't you make yourself decent first before you join us here?" I asked, covering Markl's eyes as Howl, who was merely covered by a towel wrapped around his waist, stopped in front us.

"My hair!" He yelled in anguish, gripping strands of his hair as he showed it to us.

"Oh, great." Calcifer remarked as we got to get a glimpse of how Howl's previously blonde hair is now red orange.

"Kalliste, you messed up all my potions when you cleaned the bathroom yesterday," He complained, looking close to tearing up. "Now look at me! I'm hideous."