𝑳𝒂 𝑭𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒊𝒂 𝑴𝒂𝒅𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒂𝒍

Eight

"Kalliste!" A little boy with curly black hair came rushing from the dining area to give me a big hug.

It completely tore my attention from Papa Bruno and Howl who were still talking beside me. Apparently, both of them have a lot to say about me.

"Did you miss me, Antonio?" I picked him up and cradled him in my arms as if he's still a baby and not a 6-year old boy.

"You know I do. Why can't you just live here with us so we'd be together everyday?" He pouted, crossing his arms over his yellow and orange long sleeved shirt, dangling the red scarf that's tied over his shoulder.

"Haven't you heard, little one? I'm the sheriff now. That means I've become extra busy."

"Of course I heard. My furry friends told me along with everyone in the village."

"That's right. We're well informed of how busy you are," A big voice followed by heavy footsteps came from behind me. Within a moment, a strong pair of arms wrapped around me. "I'm really glad to see you in person again, stranger." The hem of her long blue skirt glided over my denim pants as the contact was made.

I gently put Antonio down, where a tiger came to catch him, and turned around to return the hug. "I guess I missed my best friend."

"You better." She gave me a toothy grin, flipping her ponytailed curly hair back as she let go of me to flex her muscular arms.

"It's good to see you again too, Luisa."

"Now that things have been said and done, can we snatch Kalliste for a second?"

Two girls wearing dresses, one with yellow ruffle top and red flamenco skirt, the other with white and gradient of blue displaying butterfly appliqués, pulled me away from Luisa.

"All right," Luisa chuckled. "Just don't bombard her too much or else you aren't gonna hear the end of it from Tio Bruno."

"Yes, yes. We just want to talk." The girl matching her outfit with red flats, red headscarf and red choker necklace assured, clinging an arm to mine.

"Why does that kinda scare me?" I eyed her suspiciously as well as her accomplice who clung her arm on my free one just as fast. "What exactly do you want to talk about, which you haven't heard from your enhanced hearing yet, Dolores?"

"For instance, what truly is your deal with that wizard who's tagging along with you?"

"He's my friend, Mirabel. Just that."

"Boyfriend is what I heard." Dolores chuckled.

"He's not-"

"I knew it," Mirabel laughed. "Look at that, it's like he agrees. He can't take his eyes off you."

The three of us turned to Howl, who was still trapped in listening to Papa Bruno's story but sneaked a wave and smiled at me when we locked eyes.

"Open your eyes, Kalliste. He's practically screaming it on your face and yet you still don't know how to listen. You're just like my Mariano before."

"Maybe it's because she doesn't want to," A beautiful deep brown skinned girl with long, wavy, dark brown hair joined us. She used her dark brown eyes to give stern glances at Mirabel and Dolores before looking at me. "Nothing is wrong with not wanting that."

"Oh, but she wants to, Isabela. I can hear it."

"Hey, sister, maybe you could arrange the flowers for their wedding. That is your expertise. Meanwhile, I am now assigning myself to the production of dresses." Mirabel suggested giddily.