𝑲𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆'𝒔 𝑭𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓

Seven

"Holy... Crackers. I'm so sorry," I said to the person who bumped into me just as I walked away from my office once I finished locking it up. "I didn't notice you there."

Snow, or Mary Margaret, fixed her composure the same time I did as we moved away from each other. Her short black hair swayed backward by the movement along with the white dress she's clad in underneath her brown cardigan. "It's not a problem at all, Kalliste. I was kind of hoping to bump into you, anyway."

"Oh," I said, already having an idea why she wants to see me. "Look, Snow, I want you to know that I'm sorry for whatever I did. It's not really evident but I'm trying to do better on my part in this town. My past is dark but that isn't who I am anymore-"

"What are you talking about?" Snow said, chuckling a little. "Nothing of the sort has happened and you're not in trouble. So breathe, okay?"

"Okay? Why do you want to waste your time on me, then?"

She took a deep breath. "Are you free this evening? Emma wants to have you over for dinner. It's not gonna be a big deal, it's just the whole family who's gonna be there."

That rendered me speechless.

"We just want to get to know you better, is all, and start putting the past behind us together. It's high time Neal gets to be acquainted with you despite what happened before," Snow assured. "If you want, you can bring your boyfriend along. It'd be nice to meet him formally."

I blinked the confusion away. "Oh, Howl is not my boyfriend. We're just friends. If anything, he's my landlord since I practically board at his house now."

Snow chuckled meaningfully. "If you say so. Still, it'll be alright if you want him to tag along."

"The invitation is really thoughtful, Snow - may I call you that?" I continued when she nodded. "But I'm afraid I already have plans tonight. My father's waiting for me, and well, I'm sure you can understand if I put my family first as well."

"Of course," She replied softly. "Well, do what you have to do tonight. But I hope you'll consider our invitation next time."

"I will. Thank you."

We walked out together after she helped me lock up the entrance. She headed for David's truck and I went to my motorbike.

It's a good thing I haven't driven away yet because Rumplestiltskin summoned me just before I started the engine.

The bells tied to the upper part of the door of Gold's Pawn Shop jingled as I opened it and made my way in.

The room is dark, with only dimly lit candles as its source of light, fighting the fading glow outside as the sun starts to die down. If that, and the countless horrifying artifacts displayed all across the room, doesn't give whoever dares to enter here chills, I don't know what would.

Rumple is one dark dude, everyone knows that. And since I've been his accomplice for as long as the townsfolk remember, his darkness has rubbed off on me already.

"You're just in time, dearie," He greeted, walking his way to the counter to meet me. His cane tapped the floor at every move, shattering the silence. "It's nice to see you've still time to spare to meet. I know how eager you are to come home to your boyfriend."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't really have a choice but to obey you, do I? And again, Howl is not my boyfriend."

"Ah, yes. That infamous wizard Howl Pendragon is now close to you."

"How'd you know his full name?" I asked. I specifically keep it out of Rumple's knowledge. Someone's name is all it takes for him to know whatever he wants to know about that person.