𝑻𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒂𝒍 𝑯𝒖𝒔𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒅

Twenty Three

"So you possess this rare gift of light manipulation," Suliman noted, sounding impressed. "Was it heredity, the cause of it?"

"I believe it was a curse that granted me this, as my beloved parents kept telling me." I said with utter disinterest.

"And so you used to see it the same - a curse."

"It made my life miserable, so..." I shrugged.

"I mean no offense, dear, but if you were to see it in another light, perhaps you'll find how bright your life could be with it."

"You mean if I learn how to harness it."

"Exactly," She nodded, smiling. "You could be great, greater than you already are. If only you surround yourself with notable people who can truly help you and not leave you hanging in the end."

"And the people you openly harbour resentment pertain to who?"

"No one in particular. No one that should concern you, at least," She said. "I am sorry I wasn't able to get to you before Rumple did. You and I could've accomplished more."

I furrowed my brows. "Drop the theatrics and pretentious sentiments which we both know has no underlying sincerity at all. What is it that you want from me?"

"Your alliance," She replied, complying to my request of direct honesty. "I want you on my side since I know too well that your coward of a husband would not be. I will win it, there is no doubt in that yet I do not want to jeopardise my chances by having you play on the other side."

"Excuse me?" I raised a brow. "Did you just call my husband a coward in front of me?"

"I cannot think of another term to describe him at the moment, you must forgive me. Tell me, if he isn't a coward, then why is he hiding behind your shadow by sending you here instead of being a man and facing me here himself?"

"He failed to come because I insisted since I was the reason he had to stay at home and deal with what I asked of him." I lied but remained stoic.

"We both know that is not true and you should know better than lie to me for I can see right through such stupidity."

I scoffed. "If you already know things, then why do you bother asking me still?" I said. "I will say this, though, in case you aren't aware yet. I will never side with you, Suliman. I have no idea who you truly are as I only know you through Howl but it was enough for me to learn how evil you are. I am done with allowing darkness to have influence in my life. So no, you will not be able to manipulate me into agreeing with you."

She kept her smile. "I can see why Howl was eager to accept your proposal to prepare for this day. He's smart not to turn that down. You are feisty and brave. I like that. You are just what he needs to fulfill those that he lacks - courage and empathy."

"You better stop insulting him, lady. You're starting to get on my nerves," I glared at her. "I can now see why he does not want to attend this gathering and why he has no interest in seeing you. He's doing his best to comply on his end of whatever you're bargaining with him and yet you still see him unfit for his actual worth. Grow a heart, would you?"

She chortled. "Why don't you ask your husband that last bit? Maybe then he will learn to love you."

That shut me up for a moment. "Does that conclude our nonsense meeting?"

"Not quite yet. We aren't finished here," She said and raised her hand to gesture to the guard by the door. "There is something I want you to see in hopes to change your mind about my offer."