𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝒂𝒔𝒆 𝑶𝒇 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑩𝒐𝒚

Nine

Papa Bruno paid me a visit to the Sheriff Station the next day.

He was bearing coffee, for me, Howl - who is still my acting deputy, and David - who was sort of surprised after having to meet my father for the first time.

"I'll cut to the chase, mi amor," Papa said just as we settled inside my office and left the two men outside. "We need your help."

"What can I do for you, Papa?"

"Camilo hasn't returned to the casa yet. Your Tia Pepa is now worried sick," He lamented. "He's always been a good kid. A thought of him running away or not coming home would never cross our minds but since it has been hours already, we are now open to the possibility that he might be missing."

I felt sick in the stomach upon remembering an unpleasant bit regarding Camilo last night. I reached for his hand. "Don't worry, Papa. I will take it from here. I'll help you find Camilo."

I decided not to share with him what I witnessed last night first. Since Camilo is missing, it's been a part of an active investigation now. I need to fix the puzzle first before I make people see the whole picture to sew the sense from all of it. Hopefully, it will lead us to the lost boy.

I let Papa stay in my office for the meantime while I break down the case to Howl and David. Neither of them hesitated to work on it, especially right after I shared the fact that Camilo has an ability to shape-shift and there is a possibility that he might be trapped in another form, unable to turn back, for now.

"David, I need you to search the northern side of town. Who knows where he might end up and so we must scout every corner as possible. We must thread every piece of the hint that he might be in trouble and that this is not just a rebellion of a teenager," I said. "Unfortunately, the downside in this investigation is his existing shape-shifting magic. He might mirror the face of another and we'd have no clue that it's him."

"I'll team up with the dwarfs and a few more volunteers we'll tag along on the way." David replied.

We had an agreement that we will keep one another posted when we get wind of something that might help us solve our current case. He left after receiving a few more details about Camilo from me and Papa.

"What about me? What can I do?" Howl asked, looking serious as we got left alone by Papa who decided it would be best if he headed back home again.

"Actually," I turned to him, taking my eyes off the board I had scribbled the clues I gathered at. "Can I ask you a favor?"

He progressed toward me. "Of course you can, Astraea. Tell me what I can do to help and I will do it for you."

He was a little skeptical at first after hearing my spontaneously formulated plan but in the end, he agreed. I made sure to let him know how grateful I am of his willingness to lend a hand by repetitively thanking him and telling him I owe him this time.

In no time, we both gathered our wits and started taking action. We went home - by that I meant Howl flew me back to the castle - to Markl and Calcifer who we'd need help from.

I spent a moment contemplating on my corner of the castle when Howl approached me, with Markl in tow and Calcifer watching from a distance.

"I have an idea."

I looked up at him, eyes filled with hope.

"We're going to move."

"What?" I furrowed my brows. "Howl, I don't think this is the right time for that now. We're in the middle of an investigation."