Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I was more of a danger than ever knew. The words of that wolf echoed in my mind. It was just me, that was it. Never any beast crawling inside of my skin. How much I had blamed on it made me sick to my stomach every time I tried to think about it.

Sylvia would never forgive me and neither could I.

My own will to live had been attached so fundamentally to the concept of the beast. Was I just supposed to take my own life now? I couldn't.

But what else could I do?

I wandered the forest aimlessly in my wolf form. Much like before but this time I was fully conscious and aware, events swirling around my head like ghosts. This time I also wasn't fully aimless. I moved further and further south. Away from my town, away from people.

Retrospectively, Juno, Sylvia and her friends had the patience of gods for me. I was ripping apart vampires for reasons they understood far better than I did. Still they kept me around and tried to steer me on the right track. Maybe Juno had seen some kind of goodness within me.

Oh how she was wrong.

How much did she regret her kindness?

Maybe they were all terrified of me. That could have been why they kept me around. They didn't want to face me. Sylvia could have taken me down at any second though. That thought still chilled me. The whole time I had known her she was a snap decision away from ending me.

And how much better the world might have been if she lost her temper.

It was difficult to keep track of time in my wandering state. One morning I did wake up and the humidity didn't cling to me. Looking around much more carefully the flora was completely different here. This was a new climate.

Was I even in Queensland anymore?

It didn't really matter where I went, as long as I wasn't around people.

As I continued my journey ever southward that morning I was plagued with the memory of murdering Juno's friends.

I had turned on Lalla first, she probably was the only one who even slightly deserved my anger. What I did could not be justified. I had turned around and bit into her shoulder. So vicious and vile that my bite cleaved through her delicate witch body. I could feel the firm muscle of her heart under my canines and I bit down harder. A shock wave went through the group, Ilona was first to act, getting closer to me to try and tear me away from Lalla. I went for the throat. Tearing her whole jaw off and tossing it away. Orvar blasted me with light but I ducked and weaved around Ilona's body, he was caught in a bind there and with a bite to the back of the neck I severed his head. Sabnius was in so much shock, his bird face might not have had much expression but those beady bird eyes were not believing what they saw. Then I jumped on him ripping the fragile wings from his body, his claws raked big lines of blood down my wolf body but it was too much for him.

I left out a big sorrowful howl and collapsed to the ground.

I didn't move that day.

***

The climate grew colder and colder. I was ok with that because of my fur but it was my only indication that I was still going south. After all I was just a giant wolf keeping to forest lands though I did have to cross through a number of farms at times.

It was my own little tour of the East coast of Australia. There were some truly beautiful mountainous views and the terrain varied so much. This journey must have taken me months, maybe a whole season as my only means of transport was just myself. There was no hurry but I was a giant wolf.