xvii. time to split! (gods, let's leave leo in split, please)

━chapter seventeen,❝time to split! (gods, let's leave leo in split, please)❞『V A L E N T I N A』

chapter seventeen,
❝time to split!
(gods, let's leave leo in split, please)❞
V A L E N T I N A

━━━Valentina is woken from a nightmare by Hazel, who had been shaking her. Her nightmare had been the usual stuff━the Titan War, Bryce, past quests (like that one where they ran into the cannibal Cyclopes, and her friend was eaten. That was a bit traumatizing).

     She sits up groggily.

     Hazel looks a bit alarmed. Her curly hair is tied back with a bandana━which makes her look pretty hot, Valentina won't lie━and she wears one of Regina's flannels. Ever since she came back yesterday, she's been a bit... different. Her aura has grown stronger━it always was strong, but now it's like woah. Her eyes sparkle with greater power. She's a bit quieter, too.

     "Hey," says Hazel. "You good? Nightmare?"

     "Yeah," Valentina says. "The usual. What's up?"

     "Hurry and get changed," she says. "It's almost lunchtime. And Jason almost died."

     "Of course he did."

     Valentina gets dressed in a pair of mom jeans, a cute pink top, and heeled boots. She puts her sunglasses on the top of her head and heads into the mess hall. Pretty much everyone is there, and when she gets seated, Piper explains to her that Jason had fallen asleep while on duty... a thousand feet in the air. The crew hadn't noticed until the last minute, and thankfully, Piper had screamed for him to wake up so powerfully that he'd woken up and saved his life at the last second.

     All while Valentina had been asleep.

     Jason looks very awake━he barely blinks, his hands are jittery, and he is tapping his feet against the ground. He's acting like Leo. (Oh, gods, like they need another Leo).

     While they eat lunch, Jason reports on his midair vision━how the Romans, including Ajax Luz, had met with a few Greeks. Everyone is quiet long enough for Coach Hedge to finish a peanut butter and banana sandwich, and the ceramic plate.

     Valentina and Romeo connect eyes across the table. Regina.

     "A note from Annabeth." Piper shakes her head in amazement. "I don't see how that's possible, but if it is━"

     "She's alive," says Leo. "Thank the gods and pass the hot sauce."

     Frank frowns. "What does that mean?"