xii. annabeth stumbles over a titan

━chapter twelve,❝annabeth stumbles over a titan!❞『R E G I N A』

chapter twelve,
❝annabeth stumbles over a titan!
R E G I N A

━━━Annabeth, quite literally, stumbles over the second Titan.

     After entering the storm front, they plod on for what seems like hours, relying on the lights of Percy, Annabeth, and Regina's blades, and Bob, who glows faintly in the dark like some sort of crazy janitor angel. Still, they can only see about five to seven feet in front of them.

     Rocks loom out of nowhere. Pits appear at their feet, and Regina barely avoids falling in. Monstrous roars echo in the gloom. The voices in Regina's head get stronger, and she finds herself gripping Annabeth's free hand for comfort━to keep her grounded to reality. Every time they retract a step, she feels tired and heavy, as if gravity is increasing to discourage her. The only thing keeping Regina going is the image of Hazel sleeping soundlessly in her bed on the Argo II. Whether it's real or not, it's peaceful, and it gives Regina a reason to keep going.

     Then, Percy yells, "Whoa!"

     Annabeth's hand slips from hers. Regina tries to grab her, but she's too late. Fortunately, it's only a shallow depression. Most of it is filled with a monster blister. She bounces on the surface, sighing out of relief, then suddenly screams and flails, toppling sideways off the mound.

     Percy helps her to her feet. "You okay?"

     Regina sees what she's frightened her. She had opened her eyes to a glowing gold membrane━a very large face. Curled inside of the membrane is a fully-formed Titan in golden armor. His skin is the color of polished pennies. His eyes are closed, but he scowls so deeply as though he is on the verge of a bloodcurdling war cry. Even through the blister, Regina can feel the heat radiating from his body.

     "Hyperion," growls Percy. "I hate that guy."

     "Did you guys fight him before?" asks Regina.

     "Yeah," says Annabeth. "But, Percy━ I thought Grover turned this guy into a maple tree."

     "Yeah," Percy agrees. "Maybe the maple tree died, and he wound up back here?"

     Regina gets an eerie feeling. She glances at Bob, who is studying Hyperion with a frown of concentration━maybe familiarity. Their faces look so much alike... Of course they do. Hyperion is his brother, isn't he? He's the Titan lord of the East. Iapetus━Bob━is the lord of the west. Their faces are similar, like Regina and Annabeth's.