xiv. hazel creates a different reality (well, kind of)

━chapter thirteen,❝hazel creates a different reality! (well, kind of)❞『H A Z E L』

chapter thirteen,
❝hazel creates a different reality!
(well, kind of)❞
H A Z E L

━━━Hazel likes the great outdoors━but climbing a two-hundred-foot cliff on a stairway without rails, with a bad-tempered weasel on her shoulder? Not so much. Especially when she could have ridden Arion to the top in seconds.

Romeo walks in front of her. Jason walks behind both of them, to catch them in case they fell. Hazel appreciates it, but it doesn't make the sheer drop any less terrifying.

     She glances to her right, which is a mistake. Her foot almost slips, sending a spray of gravel over the edge. Gale squeaks in alarm. Romeo pauses in front of her, sending a risky glance back.

     "You all right?" Jason asks.

     "Yes. Fine." Hazel's heart jackhammers against her ribcage. "Keep going."

She has no room to turn and look at the son of Jupiter. She just has to trust he wouldn't let her plummet to her death. Sure, he can fly━he's the only logical backup. She's glad Romeo is here, but... still. She wishes it were Frank at her back, or Nico, or Valentina or Piper, or Leo. Or even... okay, not Coach Hedge. She wishes Percy or Regina were here.

Ever since she arrived at Camp Jupiter, she's heard stories about him. The campers spoke with reverence about the son of Jupiter who'd risen from the lowly ranks of the Fifth Cohort, led them to victory in the Battle of Mount Tam, become praetor, defeated such a powerful Titan all by himself. She had spoken to him just a few of times before he disappeared━she arrived in September, he disappeared in late October. Even now, after the events of the past couple of weeks, Jason Grace seems more like a legend than a person.

Hazel has a difficult time warming up to the hero━those icy blue eyes and that careful reserve, as though he is calculating every word before he says it. She can't forget how he had been ready to write off her brother, Nico, when they'd learned he was a captive. Was Nico bait for a trap? Yes. Did he know about both camps and tell no one? Also yes. But her brother is still human━he's a still young boy, haunted by the ghosts of his past. She can see why Jason's caution was a good idea, but it doesn't matter to her.

She would've run straight into the pits of hell to save her brother, even if she is his consolation prize. She has never been what her brother wanted━he wanted Bianca, not Hazel. The envy weighs on her heart every day, as much as she hates it, yet she would still run into a trap for him over again. (Even if she is the second choice, never first in anyone's brain, she would do anything for her friends). She wonders if he would do the same for her.