viii. eidolons are a real pain in the ass

━chapter eight,❝eidolons are a real pain in the ass!❞『P I P E R』

chapter eight,
❝eidolons are a real pain in the ass!
P I P E R

━━━Jason had told Piper that Romeo Maximus was the greatest fighter he'd ever seen━like a demon or a god, perhaps better than some. Hearing that his title is maximus romanorum had seemed a bit much, but after seeing him in action, Piper isn't at all surprised.

     Somehow, within the first five seconds, Romeo manages to get Percy and Jason both off their horse. The horses had charged at each other so fast Piper could barely get out of the way. Romeo jumps off of his horse and meets them.

     She knew Percy Jackson was amazing. She knew Jason Grace was amazing. But Romeo━ he's on a different level.

     She's never been so scared in her entire life.

     If you haven't seen Romeo Maximus go into battle, you haven't truly been terrified. She knows the miracles of most demigods━Hercules's strength, Percy's range of power, Annabeth's battle intelligence, Ajax Luz's speed. But Romeo seems to excel in all categories. He moves so quickly, that the fighting is nothing but a blur to Piper, but she is mesmerized. She isn't even sure if she breathed. She had no idea a demigod could get that good at sword-fighting. It makes her look weak, it makes all other campers at Camp Half-Blood look utterly useless. Romeo fights intelligently, with such speed, such strength, fighting between the two boys swiftly. His face is tensed with a mild amount of effort. Sparks fly━blades blur━strike and parry, strike and parry━kicks, hits━and the pavement trembles beneath their feet.

     Jason roars. A bolt of lightning arcs out of the clear blue sky. It ricochets off his gladius and blasts toward Romeo. His arms raise in defense. Shadows━all around them, where had the shadows come from?━rise in his defense, acting as a physical force, deflecting the lightning back where it hits Percy. He flies backward and lands on his back, clothes smoking from the lightning blast.

     Jason shouts, then charges at Romeo, who meets his sword, pushing him back with incredible strength. For a moment, it's them two fighting━and Jason ends up on the defense. But then Piper sees Percy begin to rise and she shouts, "Romeo, look━"

     She would've said lookout, but Romeo is one step ahead of everybody. He ducks. Percy's sword would've sliced right through Romeo and Jason's necks if Romeo hadn't raised his sword and pushed him back. Romeo uses his foot to sweep Percy off his feet━how did he do that?━who hits his head on the ground, and then Romeo rams himself into Jason, bringing his head to meet his knee at full force. Jason stumbles and falls backward.