x. the son of romanus apollo

━chapter ten,❝the son of romanus apollo!❞『A J A X』

chapter ten,
❝the son of romanus apollo!
A J A X

━━━Ajax runs through the woods. He wears clothes that are his old ones that are worn and a little torn, and he has run his hand through his hair several times to make it look as though he's just been through a tornado. He has his sword on his waist and his sketchbook tucked underneath his arm, and that is all.

He runs out of the Oakland Hills. Camp Jupiter is maybe a quarter of a mile away, but he begins screaming, "Help! Help me!"

A bridge that leads over the Tiber River is nearby. He runs to it. Behind him, wolves snarl and bark. Ajax keeps running. Thank the gods, he is a quick runner, or else he would've been dead by now (or that's what he wants the Romans to think when he arrives as a desperate, run-away demigod).

He begins to run toward the Decumanian Gate near the back of the camp. He keeps yelling, "Help! Help me!"

A bell sounds━the sentries have spotted him. Ajax remembers when, just over two months ago, he had hidden from the sentries. Now, two months later, he is running toward Camp Jupiter, faking as a help as a weak demigod.

A group of Roman legionnaires marches out of the gate. Ajax stops when he's next to them, and the leader━presumably a centurion━shouts, "Stay back! We'll cover you!"

Two wolves have been chasing Ajax. He breathes heavily (he isn't really out of breath), and whirls around to face them. They are a part of Lycaon's wolves, and technically, it's Ajax's fault they are after him ━ he had stumbled into their territory, messed with them, insulted them, just so that way they could come after him.

The two wolves halt, but they snarl in rage. Suddenly, the gates open again.

Ajax fights the urge to smile.

The praetor, his woman, Reyna━ she walks out of the gates, fists clenched, looking angry. She's wearing her gold armor and her purple praetor's clothes. She looks like a goddess, or a queen of Rome, especially with all those medals of good deeds and victories on her breastplate. Her gold sword glints in the sun.

"What is going on? Octavian!" she shouts. She's an excellent actress. "Playing with Lycaon's pups, have you?"

Underneath his helmet, is the skinny, blond guy Octavian, his face flushes so hard that he looks like a Roman T-shirt. He hadn't been the one who yelled earlier. He's been cowering against a much larger man than him. "It is not my fault!" he snaps. "This boy━ he led them here━"