iv. they drink from the river of fire!

━chapter four,❝they drink from the river of fire!❞『R E G I N A』

chapter four,
❝they drink from the river of fire!
R E G I N A

━━━The cliff drops more than eighty feet. At the bottom stretches a nightmarish version of the Grand Canyon: a river of fire cutting a path through a jagged obsidian crevasse, the glowing red current casting horrible shadows across cliff faces. Even from the top of the canyon, the heat is intense. The chill of the River Cocytus, the River of Lamentation, hadn't left Regina's bones; now, however, her face feels raw and sunburnt. Every breath she takes took more effort.

"Uh..." Percy examines the cliff. He points to a tiny fissure running diagonally from the edge to the bottom. "We can try that ledge there."

"I'll go first," volunteers Regina.

"No way," Percy says at once. "I will."

"Percy."

"Regina."

"I'm going first because, if one of you guys fall, I might be able to save you."

"How?"

"By levitating you."

"You've never done that before. You've never even tried."

"That doesn't mean I can't do it!" Regina tells him. She sighs. "Look, I'm not going to jump off or anything. You don't have to worry about me. That was just the River."

Percy looks at her. "Right. Just the river."

"Could you please just trust me?"

Percy looks at Annabeth exasperatedly, looking like an exhausted parent.

Annabeth studies Regina. "Fine," she decides. "Percy, let her go first. She'll be fine."

Regina gives Percy a look of triumphant. "Hmph."

"Hmph," he mocks dramatically.

She does it back. He does it back. She does it again. Then he does it again.

"Knock it off, both of you," snaps Annabeth.

"Yes, Annabeth."

"Sorry, Annabeth."

Regina goes first. She takes deep breaths. The ledge are barely wide enough to allow a toehold. Her hands claw for any crack in the glassy rock. But she tries to make a path for Percy and Annabeth to follow. Annabeth and Percy bicker cutely up above, but she tries not to focus on that. They keep going, one step at a time. Regina's eyes sting with sweat. Her arms tremble, and she considers herself to be quite strong.