xiii. a dance party and a strange talk with the supreme commander of the argo ii

tw: mentions of trauma regarding sexual assault/rape

sexual assault/rape

chapter thirteen,
❝a dance party and a strange talk with the
supreme commander of the argo ii!
V A L E N T I N A

━━━Valentina had found them in Regina's cabin. Hazel had curled up into a small ball, her head resting on Regina's shoulder, sniffing, while Regina had her arm around her. The sight nearly melted Valentina's heart. But she had turned on her mom mode to comfort Hazel up, then, switching off her mom mode into ridiculously insane maniac mode; she cheered both Regina and Hazel up by turning on Regina's speakers for some music, turning the room into a dance party.

So there she is━the strong, crazy Valentina Maximus━aboard a ship that is supposed to be sailing across the world on a world-saving quest, lip-syncing and dancing like a crazy person (to cheer up her crewmate).

(Her father would be very proud).

Then Frank stumbles down the hall and bursts into the cabin.

He halts at the sight of the three girls, dancing, and turns red. But he doesn't question it. "Where's Leo?" he gasps. "Take off! Take off!"

Regina turns off the music. "Where's Romeo?" she demands. "And Percy?"

Frank grabs his knees, trying to breathe. His clothes are stiff and damp as though they'd been washed in pure starch. "On deck. They're fine. We're being followed!"

Regina pushes past Frank with Valentina and Hazel right behind, taking stairs two at a time. Percy, Coach Hedge, and Romeo lay on the deck, looking exhausted. Hedge is missing his shoes. He grins at the sky, muttering, "Awesome. Awesome." Percy and Romeo are covered in nicks and scratches as though they'd jumped through a window.

Valentina knelt next to both of them as Regina grabs both of their hands.

Leo, Piper, Annabeth, and Jason, who'd been eating in the mess hall, come rushing up the stairs.

"What? What?" Leo cries, holding a half-eaten grilled cheese sandwich. "Can't a guy even take a lunch break? What's wrong?"

"Followed!" Frank yells again.

"Followed by what?" Jason asks.

"I don't know! Whales? Sea monsters? Maybe Kate and Porky!"

Annabeth looks angry at everything else except Percy. She grasps her boyfriend's hand. "That makes absolutely no sense. Leo, you better get us out of here."