26

-This chapter takes place during S4E4: Dear Billy-
-Lenora, California-
-Max's POV-

I watch Mike pace back and forth in the living room as Johnathan tries to get ahold of Mrs. Byers. Will tried to get Mike to stop pacing a few minutes ago but it was mostly hopeless because every time he'd stop and sit down he'd get right back up.

"MIKE OH MY GOD!" I shout as another few moments pass.

"WHAT?" He responds.

"You pacing is making me nervous! For the love of God please sit," I beg. Mike sighs and goes to sit next to Will on the couch.

Johnathan sighs and hangs up before coming to join us. "I called her cell maybe four or five times," he says. "Straight to voicemail. I even called the motel she's supposed to be staying but they said nobody with the name 'Byers' has checked in yet."

I let out a groan before rubbing my face with my hands. This is the actual worse. "Well what do we do?" I ask.

"We can try calling in the morning," Will suggests. I drag out a sigh.

Suddenly a car pulls up the driveway, catching all of our attention. Will and Johnathan make eye contact before we all run to the door, Jonathan swinging it open. I don't know who I was expecting but what I saw definitely wasn't even in top ten of my guesses.

A woman in a pantsuit stepped out of a black car with tinted windows. A few men followed her actions, removing their sunglasses.

***

"I'm sorry. I guess I'm having trouble understanding any of this. I mean, what exactly is going on in Hawkins? What's doing these killings?" Jonathan asks.

"That's what we're trying to ascertain," the lady answers.

"Okay but where the hell is El?" I ask, clearly more agitated than the boys.

"For her safety it's best you don't know," the lady says.

"Oh my fucking god!" I groan, rubbing my temples. "You've got to be shitting me."

"This is insane. INSANE!" Mike shouts, getting up to pace.

"For once I agree with you," I say.

"So this training, to get El's powers back, how long is it going to take?" Jonathan asks calmly.

"Could take weeks, could take months," the lady tells him.

"MONTHS?!" Will and I question at the same time.

"Until then," the lady starts, raising her voice a bit. "Agents Harmon and Wallace will stay with you." She gestures to the two men behind her.

"We're not even the ones in danger," Mike snaps.

"Our friends live in Hawkins," Will informs the woman.

"Hell, our families live in Hawkins," I snap. "My mom and sister are there!" I need to reach Mar and apologize. Fuck. She warned me and I ignored her. I left her there alone.

"And I'll work to contain the situation until Eleven is ready," the lady tells us. "In the meantime, it is of vital importance you do not speak to anyone about this. So you'll have to give your phones to Agents Harmon and Wallace."