1

-This chapter takes place during S2E1: MADMAX-

-Max's POV-

          "Okay so if I get half of the closet, and you get the other half, and you take half of the dresser and I take the other half then all of our things will be organized," my sister Mar says as she scans our brand new bedroom.

          I nod. "Sounds like a plan," I agree. I can't help but pick at my fingers nervously so Mar grabs my hand. "Maxine Mayfield," she starts as she stares into my eyes. "We'll be okay. As long as I have you and you have me, we'll be okay." 

          "Margret! Maxine!" Our mom calls. We both shout a "yes?" Before she asks us to come help unload the rest of our stuff. So like good daughters we do. Before long we've taken everything out of the moving van and into the house so we can actually start unpacking. Me, Mar, and our mom had drove our small car all the way to a quiet town in Indiana yesterday while Neil and my step brother, Billy, finished packing up the last of our furniture into a moving van. They had arrived at our new house this morning. Me and Mar had decided to explore the town when we got here yesterday. We went downtown mostly and spent maybe an hour or two at the arcade. It had a bunch of old-school arcade games just like the arcade back home. I miss home.

          Neil brought a large box into me and Mar's room which I assumed was our new unassembled bunk bed. New, new, new, everything was new. God, why couldn't we keep our old bunk bed? Sure it was old as hell and the ladder was falling apart but we could have fixed it.

          After building their own beds, Neil and Billy come to build ours while me and Mar help out. My mom was out getting us dinner and doing some shopping for groceries while we did so. Mom gets back and we eat. Before I know it, it's time to go to bed. So I tie my hair in a bun and brush my teeth before changing into some pajamas and climbing up to the top bunk. Today was incredibly uneventful.

         I close my eyes but I don't sleep. Instead I listen.

What will I wear tomorrow? Billy thought. I have to make a good impression. People have to know who the new king of that shitty school is.

I hope the girls don't just hang out with each other. God, please make sure Maxine and Margaret make friends. Even in her thoughts she called me and Mar our full names, no matter how much we expressed we hated it.

          But I'm glad she wanted us to make friends, it showed that she actually cared. But that wasn't the thought I was looking for so I listen to Neil's passing thoughts. He was asleep so his thoughts were strange and jumbled. It was as if he was dreaming.

Still, I wanted to hear that bit of reassurance that I heard heard from my mother on the entire ride to our brand new small town.

Did we make the right choice? My mother finally asked herself. Of course you did Susan, you needed to get away from him and the kids weren't safe there either. Sam is a drunk, an unpredictable drunk. Plus Maxine and the incident... You did the right thing.

          I sigh out loud, frustrated sigh. I wanted her to decide to go back home. I miss it. I miss the warmth of autumn and cloudy summers. 

          I miss staying up and texting all my friends-well Mar and her friends-and having such deep conversations at like two in the morning. We used to talk about our dreams and hopes and wishes. The thing I liked talking about most was soulmates. Something about knowing that there was someone out there for me and they would love me no matter what was comforting. We stayed up talking about perfect dates, and what our weddings would be like. We talked about what we wanted to do for a living and how small we are in the world. But then Mar cut them all off before we moved.