11

-Max's POV-
-Friday, December 23rd-

"Yuck," I say, approaching Mar and Lucas in the hall.

His hands were twined with hers and they were giggling as they walked down the hall.

"Yuck what?" Mar asks.

"Yuck, romance," I respond. "You guys and your PDA make me wanna hurl."

As of last Friday Lucas and Mar were in a relationship. Same thing with Mike and Will. Guess the Snowball is magical like that because I too am in a relationship. Except no one knows, not even Lucas. At the Snowball Mike announced how he was having a Christmas party for our party the following Friday (aka today) that would also be a sleepover.

"You wouldn't say yuck if it was you who was dating someone," Mar informs me. I chuckle to myself.

"Yes I would," I assure her. If only she knew.

Mar chuckles as she opens her locker, temporarily letting go of Lucas. She grabs her stuff and gives him a kiss goodbye as he goes to meet Mike, Dustin, and Will at the bus lot. They were all riding home together but Mar and I needed to go back home to get the gifts we got for the party.

I got Lucas and El actual gifts and everyone else was getting gift cards. Mar's getting her gift from me on Christmas.

After Mar finishes up we head to the front of the school and wait until Billy comes out of the high school.

-Later-

"Bye Billy," I say, getting out of the car.

"I mean it," he says. "You better be out on the driveway at three P.M. sharp. I'm not getting in trouble for you two."

"Yeah, yeah. I know I know. Thanks a lot and GOODBYE," I shut my car door and step out with Mar following behind me.

I hear the sound of a window rolling down before Billy starts shouting at us.

"No funny business either!" he yells.

"Ew Billy!" I exclaim. "Gross!"

Billy sighs, then his eyes drift to Mar. "Bye Mar," he says softly. "Have fun."

She looks him up and down and her mouth opens to say something, but she just shuts it again and walks up the Wheeler's driveway faster. Since that night at the Byers their relationship hasn't been the same. For two months she wouldn't talk to him unless it was completely necessary.

Once we're there, Mar knocks on Mike's basement door. It swings open to a messy haired Mike in an ugly Christmas sweater.

"Way to get into the holiday spirit, Wheeler," I say as I walk inside. I hear him let out a soft chuckle.

Mar darts past me with open arms. She jumps into Lucas's embrace and he spins her around. I roll my eyes so hard it gives me a headache.

"You guys saw each other like TWO HOURS AGO," I complain. "This is so over the top."

"Right," Mike agrees. "He wouldn't shut up about her. C'mon guys even Will and I aren't obnoxiously gross."

"As if!" Dustin scoffs. "All of you are obnoxiously gross except El, Max, and I."

"But—"