18

-This chapter takes place during S3E7: The Bite-
-Max's POV-

"He said he was building something. That it was all for me," El says as she leans on me more. I wrap my arm around her and pull her in closer.

"Building something... is he talking about the flayed?" Mar asks.

"He must be," Nancy says.

"So, he's building an army just like we thought," Lucas concludes.

"Yeah, but he's not building this army to spread," Mike says.

"He's building it to stop Eleven," Will says from above us. El and I are sat on the couch and Will's sitting on top of it. I don't think Hop would appreciate him sitting on his furniture incorrectly but I decided against mentioning that fact since we have bigger things to worry about.

"Last year, El closed the gate on him," Mike says. "I have a feeling that really pissed him off."

"Like, royally."

"And the Mind Flayer now knows she's the only thing that can stop him. But if he's out of the way-"

"Game over."

"He also said he was going to kill all of you," El says.

"Well, that's not very nice," Mar says.

"I don't know how I didn't hear any of that," I say. "It doesn't make sense."

"What did you hear?" Nancy asks.

"It was like, these whispers and the evil voice that I felt in my head before, but none of it was words, none that I can understand at least," I say.

Suddenly there's a faint crash outside and Nancy spins around to look at the door.

"Do you guys hear that?" She asks.

"It's just the fireworks," Johnathan tries to reassure her.

"Billy," Nancy starts, turning back to El. "When he told you this, it was here, in this room?" El nods and the crashing gets louder.

Will slowly reaches up to his neck, a worried look on his face. "He knows we're here," he says.

We all get up and head outside to the street. There's some big thing headed towards us. It looks a lot like the flesh monster from the hospital, but way bigger and shaped like the Mind Flayer. Any tree it runs into gets knocked down.

"Holy shit!" I exclaim, grabbing El's and Mar's hands and running right back into the house. Mike and Will are right behind us along with Lucas.

"Start barricading!" I shout at them, dragging an end table to the window.

We all start stacking everything up, leaving the door open for Jonathan and Nancy. They finally come in, Johnathan with an ax and Nancy with a shotgun. Lucas drags the sofa to the door and Johnathan flips it up to block it. Once everything is blocked we all meet in the center of the room, silently waiting. A light that's hanging off the wall shakes and flickers for a bit before a plate in the kitchen clashes with another.