10

-Max's POV-

"See?" Mar says, admiring her work in the mirror. "You can look pretty if you try."

"Are you saying I don't look pretty any other time?" I ask, turning to her. She rolls her eyes playfully while fluffing my hair out some more. A single braid came from the top of my hair to the side. I was wearing a dark blue button up with slacks. I looked pretty decent for a dance, but Mar, she looked great.

Her vibrant red hair was in a half up, half down and was curled at the end. She was wearing this super sparkly dress that was green at the top and the skirt was white and made of this tulle material. The dress's sleeves came down to her elbows but she sill insisted on wearing no cardigan or jacket because "it'd ruin the outfit." She is wearing white tights though. And she bought these green sparkle flats that matched with the dress. She didn't go heavy on makeup-she never does because she believes in natural beauty or something-but she did go with winged eyeliner, which I've never seen her do.

I assume she's all prettied up for Lucas. Over the last two months they'd been talking and low-key flirting, but never anything beyond that.

I haven't been in contact with El in a month. She visited the school after it was dismissed again, but that time with permission. Hopper was there so she didn't make any moves and neither did I. But she did sit with the entire party and we all talked and hung out until Hop dragged her home.

I don't know when I'll see her again, and that's been getting me down. But I shove those feelings far, far down and get through my day. I just gotta get through this dance and then I can come home and sulk.

Suddenly Mar's phone starts ringing and she picks up.

"Hi Will," she says, her tone suddenly being much perkier. That was her phone call voice. "Yeah we're just about ready... Okay bye. See you when you get here."

She then hangs up and turn to me. Will's mom was taking us to the dance. Originally Mom was supposed to but she has to work late and Niel's passed out on the couch. So we called Will last minute and he hadn't left yet so Ms. Byers said she'd give us a ride. Have I mentioned that I love that angel of a woman?

"They just left the house and are on their way," Mar informs me. She grabs my shoulders and dusts them off before getting really close to my face to inspect it. "Let me just put a little eyeliner on you-"

"No!" I laugh. "I already told you."

"PLEASE," Mar begs.

"Absolutely not," I tell her, walking off. I make my way to our room where my shoes were. I just had some combat boots that were brand new. I put them on and tied them on as Mar put on her flats. I also had a fanny pack as well. I'm holding both of our phones and some fruit snacks. Plus thirty bucks cash.

Soon we were headed out the door and into the Byers car. Since Johnathan had to be there early for the photobooth we'd be there before anyone else. Johnathan was in shotgun, Mrs. Byers was driving, and Will, Mar, and I all sat in the back.

Before I know it, we're at the school. We all get out, Mar and I thank Ms. Byers, and we head inside the gym. Johnathan sees Nancy and immediately goes to her before heading to the booth. Mike's at a table looking bored as hell. We walk over to him and get chatting.

"So Mike," I say. "Any lucky girls you wanna dance with tonight?"

"Not exactly," he frowns, his eyes flashing to Will. I give Mike a mischievous smirk before I continue.

"Well then, I guess I should ask if there's any lucky guys you wanna dance with." I see Mike's eyebrows shoot up in alarm.

"Yeah Mike," Mar teases, getting in on it. "There isn't a single breathing human being you'd be dying to dance the night away with?"