4

-‼️TW‼️: ‼️⚠️Sexual Harassment and mention of Sexual Assault ⚠️‼️

-Max's POV-

"Max, wake up!" Someone says softly. I groan and turn. I did not wanna go to school today. The person begins to shake my shoulder. "Max Mayfield, get out of my bed, please!" Mar begs. I finally open my eyes to look at my twin sister, who for some reason has bloodshot eyes. I sit up, blinking slowly. What day is it? How long was I out? I rub my eyes, trying to remember what had happened. I glance down at my phone next to me and pick it up to open it. After quickly typing in my pin my phone's opens the most recent tab. It was a photo of me and Eleanor. Is it still today?

"What time is it?" I ask Mar.

"Close to seven thirty," she answers. I finally notice the wobblyness in her voice.

"Hey, what happened? Are you okay? You look like you were crying."

Mar sniffles and wipes her eyes really quickly. "They uh...they kicked me out again," she starts. "I thought I was getting somewhere with Mike and I thought that maybe he'd even give us a chance but... I guess I was wrong."

"What do you mean?" I ask,my voice still croaky.

"Um so Will had another episode but it was really bad so his mom came and picked him up. Afterwards Mike, Dustin, and Lucas all went back to the AV room to share secrets like second graders so I walked home." Mar pauses as her whole body trembles. "Making friends use to be so easy," she chokes out. "Why does it feel since the incident that I can't do anything anymore? I'm supposed to be good with people so why aren't I?" Mar was always the people person. She always was friends with everyone while I only hung out with her and a few other people.

Mar breaks down sobbing with her hands pressed to her face. "Is it me? Do they know? What if they saw the post Max?" I feel a stab of guilt as I rub her back. I lift Mar's chin up so she meets my eyes.

"Margaret, listen to me. What happened in California... That was not your fault. He basically forced you to send him that photo. You are perfect. We're in a new, unfamiliar place so you're just out of it. Besides there's no way that they saw the post," I explain to her. That picture nearly destroyed Mar. That was the the real reason we had to move.

-One Week Before the Move-

I was up later than I was supposed to be for sure. I had been playing Solitaire on my phone for hours at this point and still, I wasn't tired. Before I know it, my phone dies. I groaned quietly before climbing down the raggedy ladder to the one nightstand in me and Mar's room. I unplug her phone and plug up mine. We both had separate cords since we had separate phones but we only had one outlet with two plugs in our room, and one of the plugs was already taken up by our new LED lights that we saved up for three months for.

I notice an Instagram notification popping up on Mar's lockscreen. I glance over to get a better look before noticing it's a DM. It was the single word slut. It was a short DM but whoever sent it was gonna get told off tonight. No one talks shit about my sister on my watch! I take the phone off the nightstand before heading back up to my bunk. Mar's password was just my name (my password was her name) so I easily unlock her phone. That's when I notice several more notifications, mostly from Instagram. Mar's friend Gina had texted her many times as well. Why the hell is everyone blowing up her phone? First I open the text from Gina.