(14) Naori Rei

Weeks had passed since the storage closet incident, and you and Riki had gotten closer.

After work, you two were either at your place or Riki's and just talked. You both had conversations about jobs, childhood, and plans.

To your surprise, you found out Riki wanted to become an elementary school teacher. You chuckled; you never expected him to teach kids, but at the same time, you did.

You wanted to open up your photography studio. Once you said that, Riki smiled. "I'll be your first client," he said.

Finally, after many long months of work, both you and Riki had achieved your goals: mending the broken items that were lost. However, neither of you wanted the other to find out, so they used a clever plan.

Or so they thought it was clever.

Riki called Jungwon and asked if he could get your broken Polaroid. You had called Ms. Park and asked her to get Riki's broken skateboard.

Jungwon and Ms. Park were both in the classroom when they received the messages. They both laughed, for they thought it was sweet. Later, they retrieved the items and gave them to the people who asked.

Riki took the Polaroid to a tiny camera shop. He opened the door and saw an older man sitting at the cash register. He looked up and grinned, showing a silver tooth. "Why hello there!"

"Good evening, sir," Riki said, placing the Polaroid on the counter. "This Polaroid belonged to a friend of mine. I accidentally broke it. I care about this person, and I was hoping you could fix this Polaroid."

"Of course, I can fix it; no need to worry." Riki gasped, raising his eyebrows. "Wait, are you serious?"

He was expecting the man to say, "I can't fix it," but was proven wrong. "Yes, I am serious. All I need is—" the man scrunched up his face, studying the camera. He suddenly laughed. "Well, look at this! This Polaroid belonged to Lee Siyeon!"

"Wait, who's that?" Riki asked.

"Last time I saw her, she was pregnant with a daughter about twenty years ago; I could be wrong on the times, though. She bought a Polaroid and explained that she wanted to pass it to her daughter. I can't remember what Siyeon named her."

"Is her name Y/n?"

The man clapped his hands. "Why yes! Do you know her?"

"Yes. Y/n's the owner of the Polaroid."

"What a small world!"

The man got out a tray and placed the broken Polaroid inside. "I was saddened to hear that Siyeon died at childbirth; she was a sweet woman. That's why I'll gladly fix this. The Polaroid will be ready by the end of the week."

The nearest skateboard shop was in a different town. It was about a thirty-minute drive.

With the broken skateboard in hand, you opened the door to the shop and saw a middle-aged woman there. She was polishing one of the wheels when she saw you. "Hello. What can I do for you?"

"Um, hello," you said, walking up to the counter. "I accidentally made my friend break his skateboard, and I was wondering if you could fix it."

You showed her the two pieces of the skateboard, and she winced. "Oof, I'm sorry. You're going to have to buy a whole new skateboard." "Wait, what?"

"It's true," the woman picked up the two pieces. "I could've fixed it if the wheels broke up, but broken in half? You need a whole new one."

You felt your heart sink to your stomach. Nothing could fix the skateboard, and it was all your fault. "However,"

The woman picked up a plain skateboard from behind her. "I can paint the same design here, but it would cost extra."

"Anything to make the skateboard look fixed and brand new is perfect!" you said.

"Hm, now that I realize it, I recognize this skateboard." the woman closed her eyes for a second to think. Then she opened them with a shocked expression and stared at you. "Do you know who Nishimura Yuta is?"

Nishimura? Isn't that Riki's last name? You wondered inside of your head. However, you didn't know who Yuta was. You shook your head. "No, ma'am,"

"You must have known him somehow because this was the same skateboard he had owned. Or do you happen to know someone related to him?"

You started to feel uncomfortable under her gaze. "What's your name?" "Why don't we sit down somewhere?"

You nodded as you followed the woman to a table chair in the back of the store. Once both of you sat down, she cleared her throat. "My name is Naori Rei, and I'm originally from Japan."

"The main reason I asked why you have Nishimura Yuta's skateboard is that we dated in high school."

"We were a great couple; everyone said so. However, it all came crashing down when I got pregnant."

An unwanted thought was starting to develop inside your head. "Oh,"

"Yes. I wanted nothing to do with that baby, but I didn't want to get rid of it. So Yuta and I agreed that he would raise the baby, but I would have to name it."

"If I may ask—"

"Hold on a minute. After we graduated, I named the baby, but I made a horrible mistake. I gave the baby to Yuta and ran away from the city, having no regrets."

"A couple of years later, I started to regret it and asked around where Yuta and my baby were. A woman from the city where Yuta and I lived happened to know."

"She told me that Yuta died in a car crash, and his fiancé got full custody over his child. Then she moved back home to South Korea to raise him."

"So I moved to South Korea and opened a skateboard shop in the memory of Yuta. But the main reason I moved here was so I could find my baby and take him back to Japan. I want us to live together for the rest of our lives."

You were able to ask the question that was about to burst out. "What did you name your son?"

Rei smiled.

"Nishimura Riki."

—————
Oh my gosh.
Its only gonna get worse from here.
Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote and follow!