(8) The Conductor

"Remember, the project is due tomorrow at 11:59. Make sure to get those pictures printed and start on that collage!" Ms. Park told her students. "Class is dismissed!"

As the students gathered their supplies and started to walk out the door, Ms. Park called your name and asked them to stay behind. You looked at Jungwon. "Meet me in the hall." your friend nodded and walked outside.

"Hey, Y/n, how is spending time with Riki? Is he treating you well?" Ms. Park asked you. "Yes, ma'am," you replied. "I surprisingly like spending time with him. I also got a lot of pictures."

"That's wonderful!" Ms. Park walked to her desk and sat down. She chuckled. "Now, Riki told me something happened yesterday when you two were at the orchestra concert."

She looked at you. "Want to tell me your side?"

You and Riki were at the park for the spring orchestra concert. The orchestra just finished their last piece before it was time for intermission.

You took pictures of Riki, who looked like he was enjoying the concert. He was so focused on the music. It amazed you.

"I'm going to get some cinnamon peanuts," you announced, standing up. "Want a bag?" "Sure," Riki nodded.

You made your way to the stand and paid for two bags of cinnamon peanuts. You were getting napkins when you noticed someone approaching in the corner of your eye. "How are you enjoying the concert, ma'am?" you heard them ask.

You turned around to see the orchestra conductor. He looked much older up close. You smiled. "I'm enjoying it. I like the music."

The conductor smiled as well. "That's great."

You noticed his eyes were moving down to your chest. You stepped back a little, alarmed.

"Say, ma'am, do you happen to be going out with anyone now?"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. I'm was wondering if you're dating—"

You suddenly felt someone pulling your arm back and behind them. It was Riki, and he did not look happy at all.

"You're disgusting," he grumbled. "An old orchestra conductor flirting with a twenty-year-old college student." Riki pointed at the ring on the man's finger. "And you're married too! Does your spouse know about this?"

A few curious onlookers were looking at the situation unfolding. You tugged Riki's arm. "Riki, we need to go back."

The conductor chuckled. "Who are you? Are you her boyfriend or something?"

"No, I'm just a friend who deeply cares for Y/n," Riki replied. You were shocked. Did he call me his friend?

Riki looked back at you. "Come on, let's go home ."

You nodded as Riki grabbed your hand, pulling you towards the park exit.

Once you finished the story, Ms. Park smiled. "That's very sweet and so unlike my Riki. He hasn't been like this since his dad passed away." "Huh? Really?" you asked.

"Yes," she turned to her computer. "You should ask Riki about it when you get a chance. His dad was also the person who gifted Riki the skateboard."

You froze in your spot. A million thoughts came racing into your head at once. That's why he made such a big fuss about that skateboard. You thought.

The same reason why I made a big fuss about my Polaroid.