(18) The Crystal Flower Cave

You took no chances.

You slipped on a pair of sneakers and a jacket. Then you grabbed the duffle bag that had the skateboard by the bed. "It's the perfect time to give it to Riki," you thought.

You made your way out of your apartment and saw Riki leaning on his car with his arms crossed. When he saw you, he smiled and waved.

You couldn't believe it. You gently placed the duffel bag on the grass and ran to Riki, embracing him in a hug. It felt like you two were the only people in the world.

"I missed you, Riki." you muffled onto his chest. "I missed you too, Y/n," he said, leaning his face into the crook of your neck.

Once you two released from the hug, he pointed at the duffle bag. "What's in there?"

You shook your head, smiling and placing your finger on your mouth. "It's a surprise."

Riki patted your head. "Well, I got three surprises for you. Let's get going."

You nodded and ran to grab the duffle bag. Riki opened the passenger car door for you and motioned for you to get inside. You smiled at him as you climbed inside.

A few minutes into the drive, you cleared your throat. "So, Riki, I thought you were supposed to be in Japan?"

The boy shrugged. "I was, but there was a change of plans."

"What do you mean?"

"It turned out Rei had brought her plane ticket way before she bought mine. She was going back to Japan so she could live with her sister; I was a last-minute guest."

"I'm so sorry, Riki. Are you still going to talk to Rei, though?"

He shrugged, grabbing my hand and squeezing it. "I don't know."

The drive continued into a rural city. Riki turned the car and parked in front of a canopy of trees. "You ready?" he asked you. "Yeah, but where are we?" you asked. "You'll see,"

Both of you climbed out of the car. You took out your duffle bag, and you saw Riki with a smaller bag. "That must be one of my surprises," you thought. Riki walked over to you and took something out of his pocket.

It was a blindfold.

"I'm going to tie this around your eyes; I don't want you peeking." "What? You don't trust me?" you joked. "I know you're going to try and peek no matter what. Hold that bag right."

You closed your eyes, and Riki tied the blindfold around them. You held onto the duffle bag tightly when he started to pull you. "You're not going to run me into anything, are you?"

"If you don't trip over nothing,"

"How will I do that when I got a blindfold on?"

Riki pulled you closer. "Keep on walking; I got you."

To your surprise, you didn't trip over anything. You were excepting a few vines.

"Okay, I'm about to take your blindfold off. When I say three, you're going to open your eyes. Got it?"

"Yep,"

"Alright then. One, two, three!"

Riki took the blindfold off, and you gasped.

It was a cave. Many different colors of flowers covered the area, except for the concrete gazebo in the middle. The flowers sparkled from the tiny pieces of crystal from the ceiling. The crystal stalactites were on the top of the cave, surrounding a hole that revealed the night sky.

"W-what is this place?" you wondered. Riki smiled, wrapping his arms around you from behind. "This is called Crystal Flower Cave. Many generations of my family have been here. My great-grandparents were here, and so were my grandparents. My mom wanted to take my dad here, but it was too late. And when I say Mom, I mean Park Jiwon."

Riki gently grabbed your hand and walked you over to the bench. Both of you sat down, placing your bags behind. Then Riki grabbed both your hands, looking deeply into your eyes.

"Y/n, I want to apologize for the way I acted last week; you didn't deserve for me to yell at you. I was just so angry and confused."

"I forgive you, Riki. I understand how you feel," you said. Riki beamed and reached over to pick up the small bag from behind. "The cave was your first prize; here's your second."

You grabbed the small bag and looked inside. "Oh my—"

It was your Polaroid camera. It looked brand new by the polish, making the lens shine. "The owner of the camera store remembered when your mom brought that same camera," Riki explained. "She was pregnant with you at the time. So the owner knew how to fix it."

You immediately wrapped your arms around Riki, catching him off guard. "Thank you so much!" you exclaimed. Riki laughed, patting your back. "You're welcome,"

When you released him, a wave of sadness suddenly crashed onto you. Tears started forming in your eyes, and you leaned your head onto your hands. "Wait, what's wrong?" Riki asked, "did I do something wrong?"

"No," you shook your head. You handed him the duffle bag, and he unzipped it. Riki's eyes grew in shock as he took the item out. "M-my skateboard!"

"No, it's a whole new one!" you cried. "I went to the nearest skateboard shop to try to fix your other one. Naori Rei was the owner of that shop. She recognized the skateboard because it belonged to your dad."

"Rei said she had to replace the skateboard because she couldn't fix it. She offered to do it for free if I let Rei see her long-lost son. And I did!"

You leaned into your hands again. "All of this drama with moving back to Japan is my fault. I'm so sorry that I made you and everyone mad. If I had just gone somewhere—"

Before you could finish, Riki lifted your chin, smiling. "Thank you, Y/n,"

"Huh, what you're thanking me for?"

"You went through all of that to fix my skateboard. I met my birth mother because of you, and I'm not angry at all."

"What a relief," you sighed. "And I have one more surprise for you." "Oh. What is it?"

Riki leaned in and kissed you on the lips, and you kissed him back. It seemed to last forever before you both released, catching your breaths. You both leaned onto each other, hugging.

"Once you graduate from photography school," Riki said, "I'm going to marry you."

"Wait, what?" "You heard me. I'm going to marry you." "How do you know that'll happen?"

"Duh, because I promise! You know I never break my promises, Y/n."

You shrugged, then giggled. "You know, I still can't we how we met. I remember we would always argue, and when Ms. Park partnered us up for the project."

You grabbed the Polaroid camera and took a picture of the scenery around you. "It brings me back for some reason."

Riki leaned onto your shoulder. "Yes, it does. I love you, Lee Y/n. I honestly do. I couldn't say I like you because that would mean I could handle not seeing you every day. But I can't; that's why I love you."

You kissed him on the cheek. "I love you too, Nishimura Riki."

A year had passed. You graduated from photography school and were working under an internship at a studio. Riki was getting his four-year teaching degree, and he was about to be in his third year.

Riki and Rei were also talking to each other. Rei had got herself a well-paying job and a two-bedroom apartment. "Come visit when you're ready!" she always said. Riki was planning to go to Japan this summer.

Oh, and one more thing.

Riki had kept his promise. You two got married after your graduation. Life was perfect for the two of you. Sure, there were arguments, but they didn't last long.

With the ring on your finger, the skateboard, and the Polaroid in hand, it was a perfect love story.

Polaroid Love was what you called it.

—————
Mann this has to be my favorite book I have ever written so far. I'm kinda gonna miss it lol.
Don't worry, I'm writing more book. And if you haven't read my other ones, check them out! Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote and follow!
Janloumas