CHAPTER 29

CHAPTER 29

[ HENRIETTA'S P.O.V. ]

"You should have told me that you're attending," the Grand Duke whispered as I took the seat beside him.

Currently, he is the highest person in this room for being the emperor regent. And with me being in the same room as his, I am to be seated beside him since I hold the title of Crown Princess. In this empire, the Crown Princess or Crown Princess has a higher rank than the regent.

"Father," I whispered back. I smiled when I noticed his reaction. "Will you introduce me today to the court as the Crown Princess and your daughter?"

My request sounded absurd that he reflexively turned his attention to me. He was frowning and looking at me with a sense of confusion bearing his eyes. He must be wondering why I'm acting like this all of a sudden.

"Isn't it time to claim my real self?" I added, trying to convince him more.

The court seemed to notice our silent conversation that their eyes pierced us. My request wasn't impossible, however, it was totally absurd. My claim to the throne might be questioned because of this reckless decision I am making. But isn't it more convenient when the factions in this court will be shaken because of the sudden revelation they will hear today?

I have a grasp of my enemy because of last night, and I know that she won't make any move yet, until she recovers. Now, I need to use this time to build the court to my favor before she attacks again.

That is one way to win from her. The other option would be taking the throne, which would be impossible as I am right now.

Father sighed then he withdrew his gaze from me and faced on the court again. "Continue," he ordered, asking the Chancellor to continue.

There are two Chancellors in the empire: the Chancellor of Internal Affairs and the Chancellor of Foreign Affairs. The Chancellor of Foreign Affairs, my former tutor, is now in the dungeon along with the other traitors who conspired with the "first princess".

The objectives of the meeting today were about the incident that happened around me. They are discussing on what punishment to give to those members of the imperial court that are still alive, while the ones who died last night are scheduled to be burned in the Dark Forest.

I placed my elbow on top of the armchair of my seat and leaned the side of my head against my closed fists. My other hand rested on the other side of the armchair. I looked around the court, tapping my fingers gently against the wooden material of the armchair while I watch everyone.

If I'll lead this same court soon, I have to remember their actions. Most of them were nobles from prominent families from different parts of the empire, the same nobles I've studied throughout my lessons. They seemed reliable in person. Some looked corrupt and shifty.

I tilted my head more against my fist then my gaze landed at the lower seats below the imperial chairs. The side of my lips quirked up when I noticed Arthur staring at me. He looked upset with that intense stare bearing against mine.

After the Chancellor was his turn. Arthur then stood from his seat and climbed the podium where the Chancellor was standing just a moment ago. He was holding a bunch of papers on his hands. I heard from Astraeus that he's the acting Chancellor of Foreign Affairs at the moment. But is he planning on telling them what he witnessed last night?

"The investigation for the members of the councils has been completed. Chief Hiki the representative of the Land of Dew, Baron Gaisler Essó from the Aristocrat Faction and Chancellor Simoun Fitzroy are all guilty of treason and conspiring against the empire. They are also guilty of the following crimes such as; embezzlement of the imperial budget," he announced, reading the documents on his hands.

Other than the crimes of the treacherous members he mentioned, he didn't say anything about the other prisoners. Though, I wouldn't mind them finding out of what I did.

After the other objectives they had discussed, father stood beside me. I glanced up to him and frowned when he offered his hand to me. I might have been thinking too slow because of the rain of thoughts flooding my head, but when I remembered what his gesture meant, I placed my hand on top of his and stood up.

We faced the court in front of us and with his loud voice, he announced, "I now present the court, the new member of the council, the Crown Princess."

I made a few steps forward and presented myself to everyone. "I am Henrietta Amethyst La Claire, the first daughter of Empress Avery and Grand Duke Deus Clarion La Claire." A smirk disguised as an innocent smile flashed across my face.

The members looked astonished then a swarm of murmurs flooded the imperial court. I watched with delight as the calm nobles earlier were now a bunch of buzzing people.

Whatever the outcome is with this decision I made, I will wholeheartedly face it without fear.

▬▬▬▬

[ THIRD P.O.V. ]

The palace was in chaos as rumors regarding the princess were spread. The aristocrat faction was divided into sub factions; those who accepted the crown princess, those who rejected her as the crown princess and those who wished to stay neutral. The aristocrat faction wasn't fully supporting the crown princess since she was yet to be introduced, but after the announcement from yesterday's council meeting, a third of them actively expressed their dismay.

Knowing that the late empress kept her intimate relationship with the Grand Duke, her former lover, and the fact that the late emperor had consented this heinous act was too tremendous to be accepted by the nobles. The nobles, who values their own selfish virtues and hypocritically critics others, acts as a judge in this cruel world.

"Shouldn't we file a complaint regarding the succession? If she was the daughter of the Grand Duke, then the next ruler should be the eldest son of the Grand Duke, Prince Hendrix!" Count Hamilton exclaimed, smashing his fist against the round table.

The other nobles nodded their heads in agreement as they mumbled, agreeing to his statement.

"But the late emperor's last will states that he recognizes the princess as the next heir. We cannot simply reprimand her claim to the throne," Baron Justice said, wiping his face with his handkerchief.

"The Baron is right. We can only rebuke the claims if another child with the late emperor's blood arrives and claims his or her right." And with Count Welshing's remark, a plan boiled in the heads of those opposing the princess.

▬▬

"What do you think you're doing?" Hendrix looked calm as he questions his sister's rash actions.

They were in the Grand Duke's study room and with them were their trusted companions; Prince Arthur, the mage Astraeus, the knight Keita, Reynolds and the Grand Duke himself.

Henrietta sighed then she pressed her back against her chair. She's been asked with the same question thrice today; by her father, by Astraeus and now, by Hendrix. And she's been saying the same answers all over again.

"I'm doing this for myself. I do not wish to be recognized as the late emperor's daughter."

To them, her actions and answers were like those of a brat who only wants to gain attention from the people. And she cannot blame them for thinking like that, that's what she wanted to happen anyway.

She kept her innocent smile on her face, but when she noticed their sour faces getting darker, Henrietta burst out laughing. It was a good sight for her, a refreshing one even. It has been a while since she annoyed the hell out of them, and she missed that.

Henrietta stood from her seat and she walked towards the huge window of the room, her steps were slow but heavy.

"Didn't you know? Humans acts cruel because of the greediness lurking within them. They also tend to act arrogantly and impulsive whenever they're desperate to satisfy that greedy monster residing in them."

It seemed out of the ordinary. The Henrietta standing in front of them, spouting a speech regarding greediness sounded entirely different than the soft princess they knew.

"By stirring their greedy hearts, the faction in the empire will be divided into groups that will oppose us, those who will support us, and those will act as the bystanders to watch us. And with that kind of storm, we will be able to know which rat to remove from the council." Henrietta pressed her palm against the window then she turned her head to look at them. "I want to change everything from within. To remove those who only feeds on the empire's power and to destroy those who oppress the weak and the poor."

They remained silent as they looked at her. There was a mixture of emotions fluttering across their chests and various of thoughts flooding their heads. They can see that she was being honest with what she wanted, but for some reasons, they can feel a weird emotion lingering against her desires. Something vile. Something thirsty.

Henrietta accepted their silence as their answers. Except for Astraeus, she knew that the rest of those around her would feel reluctant regarding her decisions. But she couldn't really wait for them to answer. She has this time limit she needed to catch on, or else she'll be trapped and everything will be lost.

"In a week, I shall start my duties as the Crown Princess. I will continue studying with the help of Astraeus and Arthur. And I will participate in any official events that I am required to attend."

"We have to do an official ceremony before we can-" She cut his father off, "This is not a request, this is an order."

The playfulness that once painted her face was nowhere to be seen. The look of the girl in front of them resembled a woman who was ready to accomplish anything for her goals.

And that's what their empire needed.