CHAPTER 011

[ A WEEK BEFORE PRINCE AURELIUS' CORONATION ; DURING THE GRAND DUKE AND MARQUESS' DISCUSSION ]

"So you want to form a Strategic Alliance with us? Does your future King know about this?" The Grand Duke asked while he leisurely reads the Marquess' written proposal.

He wasn't that oblivious not to know the Marquess' intention before he invited him over the Kingdom, but he wanted to confirm if the man were trustworthy enough to be their ally.

Marquess Louis smiled at him, that same annoying smile he shows to everyone, then he walked to the door of the Grand Duke's office and opened it without saying anything. The Grand Duke frowned at the Marquess' behaviour, but instead of warning him, he remained seated and watched the latter's action.

For once in this boring life of his, the Grand Duke cackled when he saw the future King of Talares, Crown Prince Aurelius, entered his office.

"Ah. I didn't expect less from the future King. So I assumed that you were the one who suggested this? With the help of your brother?" The Grand Duke asked, smirking as he sat more comfortably on his chair.

"I apologize for acting arrogant, your grace. However, this course of plan is the only safe route for the royal family and for my seat to be secured." Crown Prince Aurelius who looked like a fragile kid, sounded like a heartless young man. An illegitimate child who grew up in the merciless house of his notorious mother.

This drew the Grand Duke's interest more knowing how powerful this young Prince's mind can be if ever he'll be their ally. Moreover, he also thinks that Henrietta can still beat them even if they'll turn their back against them and become their enemy. Either way, it will become a win-win situation, a much beneficial option for the imperial family.

"Interesting. Tell me more about it," the Grand Duke said, motioning for the both of them to take a seat on the chairs placed in front of his desk.

Marquess Louis let Prince Aurelius to discuss their conditions and the benefits that the imperial family will receive once they accept their proposal. Grand Duke Deus seemed pleased, but at the same time annoyed when Prince Aurelius mentioned the Crown Princess' name.

Aside from securing his seat for the throne and for their nation to be safe from any possible attacks, Prince Aurelius is also requesting a political marriage between Princess Henrietta and Prince Rowan. The young prince also mentioned the possibility of a future war between the Amaranthia Empire and a neighboring empire, the Avaricia Empire, thus the reason of him asking for a political marriage.

The information he's relaying to his grace was quite plausible since Talares Nation's influence has weakened after the death of the previous King and anyone who will try to seize their Nation might succeed because of their weakened force.

"A political marriage to prevent a possible war," the Grand Duke concluded.

He stared intently at the papers scattered on his desk as his mind drifted away, silently forming a back up plan just in case everything turns in to a chaotic mess. Without looking at them, he grabbed the imperial seal and used it to approve their proposal.

"However, if the princess wishes for the engagement to be dissolved, then we will follow her words without any arguments. Rest assured, I won't take back the approval. You may leave," he commanded.

The Marquess and the Prince knew how important the Princess was for his grace, but they didn't expect that the he will treat the Princess as his top priority. Despite that, they've already succeeded, they shouldn't have any problem for now.

Unless Rowan insists to marry the Princess.

─── 𖥸 ───

A week after uncle the duke told us about my engagement with Rowan, a weird rumor started circulating inside the palace grounds. I'm pretty sure a servant heard us, blame my overreacting cousins for that, hah. The rumors say that Rowan was like a payment or whatever you call that for the previous King's outrageous behaviour towards the imperial family.

The rumor also says that our engagement acts as a peace treaty between Clareian Kingdom and Talares Nation. I heard those baseless rumors from uncle while we were having tea together. Can't you believe that cold uncle of mine enjoying himself with some rumors? Yeah, me too.

Anyway, he seemed happy while relaying those informations to me. It seemed like he planned this beforehand to know who're the pests lurking in the palace. Now, all we need to do is to find those pests and discard them, that will help us reduce the danger for my life.

"Your highness, it's time for your bath," Lily announced as she enters my new room.

I actually changed my room after that life threatening incident and moved from the South Wing to the East Wing, close to my uncle's room as per suggestion. I nodded my head as I went to the bathing room inside my room, following Lily, my new handmaid.

Today is the day we depart to Talares Nation for Prince Aurelius' coronation. Uncle gave permission for us to join him in attending the coronation event. He didn't have any other choice since this will act like a silent public announcement regarding my engagement with Rowan.

Apparently, I really didn't get the chance to think deeply about my new situation that I ended up nodding my head in agreement. I know for sure that uncle won't agree for this kind of arrangement, not unless there's an important reason behind it. I also don't recall any engagement being part of the original storyline.

Are we being threatened? Or are they using me as a hostage or something?

I didn't know my head can act this dumb. Well, either way, uncle personally gave me enough time to think about it, if I want to marry someone or not. He gave me until the day of my coronation, which is three years from now. That's more than enough time for me to think of anything.

We finished bathing, and my personal maids helped me decorate my body. Yes, I always feel like they're decorating me because of all these makeups and accessories they put on me. It's annoying, but I have to bear with it since that's their culture.

I wore a combination of light and bright blue dress with white lacey sleeves. They tied my hair up with a pastel blue flower hair ornament and made me wear a pair of labradorite earing dangles and a labradorite necklace hanging around my neck. I couldn't help but sigh because of how grand I look.

"Won't I attract danger because of my gorgeousness?" I laughed softly at my playful remark, yet my maids giggle in approval.

After a few more tightening here and there, we finally finished and head outside. Surprisingly, the fabric of this dress feels comfortable that you won't feel any tightness squeezing your limbs or waist whenever you move.

"The Princess has arrived."

I awkwardly smiled at my uncle and cousins when they heard the imperial guard's announcement. How cringey.

"Did my maids overdo it?" I asked, confused at their surprised reactions.

"Overdo?! But her highness is shining brighter than the day and that's how her highness should shine always!" Keita exclaimed. I didn't even notice him standing there.

But what's with that exaggeration?!

"Keita, stop saying that." I monotonously said.

"But the young knight is right!" Dang it... What are they? Actors?!

"Stop saying that, Arthur!" I huffed and cross my arms.

This is embarrassing. Totally. Embarrassing.

"Arthur?! It's brother, not Arthur!" And here he goes again with his immature tantrums.

"Stop it, Arthur." Luckily Hendrix's still sane─or not. "But he's right. You look like a goddess right now." I really want to bury myself now. Can I do it, please?

Arthur kept on arguing on how I should call him brother now while Hendrix and uncle looked happy seeing me. I can clearly see what they're thinking; "Her Highness looks like a goddess today. So precious."

I wanted to pinch them all so much, but I need to look away to hide the redness of my face. This is what you call "the blush of extreme embarrassment," ugh.

"Don't worry, you still look normal. Don't overthink their compliments," Rowan assured.

I quickly turned around to face him. A soft chuckle escapes his lips when he saw my pouting face. Am I a clown to you? Huh?!

"Don't pout and frown too much. You might attract bad omens," he said that with a serious tone then he pinches my cheek.

He might be teasing me, but I won't die if ever I'll believe him, right? So I gave him a small smile before turning my back from him. Another mischievous guy, hmp!

Lily helped me wear my dark blue cloak while uncle's personal knight briefed us. So I will ride the blue carriage with my uncle and cousins, while Rowan will ride the orange carriage with his brother and uncle. Then there will be another carriage for our personal servants while our knights ride with their horses. They'll be the ones to guard the carriages.

Aside from that, uncle introduced the knights that will guard me: Keita, Sir Aiden and the Commander of the alpha division Sir Shotaro. Though uncle added that Sir Shotaro will only guard me during special occasions like this one. And I'm good with that. Lesser knights mean more freedom.

A couple of minutes more and we boarded our own carriages. I might not look excited, but I'm actually looking forward to this mini adventure of ours. I just hope things will go well.

Or so we thought.