CHAPTER 28

CHAPTER 28

[ HENRIETTA'S P.O.V. ]

I felt the brush of cold wind against my cheek, as if it was caressing me. I smirked, staring coldly outside the window. My eyes glistened as I watch the sky glow. It looked bright because of the stars twinkling above, yet melancholic because of the cold breeze accompanying it.

"Astraeus," I whispered softly, calling out the person left in my room. "Do you think it would be possible for me to live outside?"

I could feel his body flinching at my question, then he placed down the orange he was peeling.

"Princess... Would you like to run away from here? With me?" I clasped my hands together at his question.

Do I want that? Will that make me happy? Do I really want to take the path to happiness just like this?

A soft laugh escaped my lips then I turned my head to look at him. He looked worn out with all those dark circles resting under his eyes. I wonder if he had been resting for the last three days that I was unconscious.

"I can't do that, can I? I have a responsibility to fulfill." I reached out my hand to him then placed it carefully against the side of his face, my thumb caressing his flushed cheek.

Astraeus sighed beside me then I felt his hand holding the ends of my hair. "Your hair became darker, princess," he whispered softly as he pressed his lips against the ends of my dark locks. I smiled. A lot has changed since I was kidnapped.

And it has been three days since I woke up from that deep slumber. Three days since I recollected every memory that I saw in my head. And three days since I've decided to take on another path for myself.

"Do you know why humans are greedy?"

He frowned.

"It's because of the beautiful things that the deities bestowed to us. Animals, abilities, nature, and even other humans. We are all simple-minded. We get envious of the things we don't have, but we don't get satisfied with the things that we already have. We evolve differently unlike the rest of the creatures in the world. Along with that comes our destructive mind. Our mind that can ruin the world just because we aren't satisfied of what we have."

I smiled at him, watching every emotion dancing across his beautiful silver eyes.

"Do you think what I said just now makes sense?" My hand loosened on his cheek. I was about to pull my hand back, but he stopped me by holding onto it and pressing it back against his cheek.

He looked at me with firmness on his eyes, as if he had decided on something. "I have no ability to judge whether the words of others make sense or not, but I am seeing your point, Your Highness."

A moment of silence engulfed us. We stared at one another, as if we were trying to unravel the deepest thoughts filling our heads. I withdrew my hand from his cheek as I faced forward, my eyes catching the image of a painting hanging on the wall in front of me. It was a painting of a big bird carrying a small one.

"You see... I've found out everything about me: my birth and the reason of my birth. And I have chosen to forge a path and rebel against the destiny that the goddess had given to me." I wanted to tell him that I know who the real enemy that's trying to oppress us, but I held it in. Even if she showed me some evidence, I still couldn't trust someone selfish like her.

I have to investigate this further. In order for me to achieve that, I'll have to persuade those who wishes to serve me directly, like Astraeus and Keita.

"I wish to change the world, Astraeus. Discrimination, racism, oppression. Those are only a few things of what the people are experiencing right now. People bowing for those who placed themselves higher just because they have money and power to back them up." A frown formed on my forehead as the memories of her appeared on my head. "I wish to make the world a better place for everyone. And by doing that, I will have to clean everything from within."

If society didn't reform those obnoxious beliefs, then no one would be discriminated or oppressed for who they are. The cries of the people would be heard. They will be understood and help will come their way. I want to free them against the rule that society had built for themselves. I want a world where people won't hide their true selves just because they are afraid of being bullied.

"Will you help me with the path that I have chosen? Will you stand by my side as my advisor and as my friend?"

My gaze pierced back to him. I watched him stand from his seat, his eyes still filled with that firmness along with a sense of emotion I couldn't comprehend. Astraeus kneeled down on one foot, his head bowing along with his gaze dropping on the floor. His hand pressed against his right chest, a form of swearing an oath to their superior, an action usually done by the knights. I smiled.

"Astraeus Valorian pledges his loyalty to the Crown Princess, Princess Henrietta Amethyst Le Clair, the future empress of the empire."

▬▬

"I have been waiting for you."

I looked at her through the gaps of the jail bars in front of me. I knocked the guards unconscious and snuck inside the dungeon where my kidnappers had been thrown. I wanted to see them.

I lifted the lamp I was carrying in order to get a better glimpse of her appearance. Her fluffy dress was now tattered, and her face was now full of bruises and cuts.

Watching her now brings back some nasty memories. Memories from that rotten castle where they tortured me. I moved my lamp towards the other cell and saw her other subordinates locked along with her. Their hands and feet were chained, and their mouths gagged.

I smirked at their pitiful appearance.

"It seems like the table has turned." I looked back at her and smiled. She was still holding that filthy smile on her face. I would've called her ugly if we weren't sharing the same face. "You look rotten, unlike your true self."

I could hold back the laugh threatening to slip past my lips when I saw her face distorted. She must be thinking if I knew who she really was, and how did I find out.

Her expression changed, a surprised one. It seemed like she was already catching up.

"I was getting worried that you haven't noticed yet. If it wasn't for me torturing you, you wouldn't be able to find out the truth," she said in a matter-of-fact tone.

I moved closer to the cell and leaned forward, my lips leaning past the holes of the bars. Then I spat on her face.

"Oh, no. I might have mistaken you for a trash that I ended up spitting on you. Will you accept my apology, Your Holiness?" The smile on my face grew wider as I watch how her rage slowly rose within her.

The ground shook along with her angry scream. She then dragged herself forward, hitting the bars with the body she possessed. "You... You insolent wench! How dare you humiliate me?!"

I chuckled at her fury. Her subordinates were silent, watching us with horror, a sign that they knew who she really was. I used my power to unlock the chains binding their hands and feet. A loud clank echoed through the dungeon as the metal chains hits the ground. I took a step backward then opened their cell doors one by one.

Except for her, they look frightened and hopeful. They must be thinking that they'll be able to subdue me.

"Attack this wench! Kill her!" She screamed.

Her subordinates don't seem to be thinking as they followed her orders right away. They launched themselves forward, running out of their cells, and I stood there staring at her.

"Fall," I whispered to the air then snapped my fingers. Their movements were halt, and with bulging eyes, they fell on the ground, kneeling in front of me. "Isn't it too early to worship me? Your Goddess is still here, watching us all," I teased them while grinning at her.

Before she could move and do anything, I attacked her. I gathered the purple threads of my power and formed a dagger with them. With one swift move, I pierced her heart with it. I could feel the flesh of her human body being ripped by my threads of dagger.

"How does death feel, Your Holiness?" I asked through clenched teeth.

She lets out a painful gasp as I pulled out the dagger. As she falls on the ground, I swung my dagger to her accomplices and beheaded them. Their blood splattered on the side of my face and shoulder because of the impact.

"I hope you enjoyed your visit. See you next time, Your Holiness." I smiled then swung my dagger back to her, beheading her as well.

I could feel a satisfying sensation lingering across my chest as I took another glance on their lifeless body. The blood painting the ground looked as enticing as a snow piling up outside the palace.

"Then this shall mark the start when I walk on the bloody path I have chosen." The sound of my deep booming laugh reverberated around the dungeon.

▬▬

Morning came, and I heard the guards panicking outside of my room. It seemed like they've already found the corpses of my kidnappers. I was really careful last night that I even cleaned the grounds and transferred them back in their cells. Or maybe I wasn't careful enough.

I smiled at the ceiling before carrying myself up.

"Help me prepare. I will attend today," I commanded the new maids assigned to me.

After last night's incident, I was able to sleep properly. Maybe it was the sense of relief calming my system.

I stood patiently in front of my mirror as the maids dressed me up. They picked out a white frilled dress for me, but I rejected it and changed it into a red laced one. Light colors aren't really to my taste.

After a few minutes, they were done. I let my hair down and asked them to decorate it with a red ribbon clip instead.

"The preparations are done, Your Highness," one of the maids said, bowing beside me.

I smiled at the mirror, admiring at how perfect my dark hair blended with my red dress, before leaving my room. Astraeus haven't visited me since last night. He was busy with his duty as my mage and right now, a meeting was commencing in the imperial court. The Grand Duke relayed the invitation to his personal aide and announced it to me earlier. I was unable to respond since I was thinking of something, so he left thinking that I won't attend today.

Servants these days are too impatient.

The royal guards bowed as they saw me. Then I nod my head.

"Her Highness, the Crown Princess, Princess Henrietta Amethyst Le Clair, has arrived."

I wonder what these nobles will think once I've been introduced to the court today.