CHAPTER 13

CHAPTER 13

[ FLASHBACK : KEITA KUROSAWA ]

I was ten years old when I first entered the Imperial Palace and met her. Her hair that glows like the moon at night. Her jewel-like eyes radiating with innocence as she stares at me. I could never forget the first thing she told me that time.

"I heard from the maids that your family is dead. It must be sad for you. But don't worry, I'll be your friend."

She's saying that, but she'll fear me once she finds out the truth about my family's death. She'll curse at me and treat me like a monster, like everybody else did after finding out that I killed them with my own hands.

I flinched at her sudden touch. Her soft hand giving my shoulder a gentle pat. "Crying can make you feel better. You can take mister bear, so you'll have someone to hug."

And she left me, leaving her toy bear to me without even giving her own name. Who is she anyway? Is she a princess?

"You're from the Land of Dew, correct?" Her majesty, the Empress, asked.

I was invited to the Imperial Palace because of the Empress' request. I wasn't nervous at first since I had thought that every royalty are the same. But now that I'm in her presence, I could clearly say that she's different from the other royalties I've known.

"Did you know why I asked your presence?" She asks after taking a sip from her cup. I remained silent, head hanging low to avoid her calculating gaze. "I've known your parents ever since I was little. We were part of the hunting squad in your Land where we hunt and store animals for food."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked, cutting her off. Royalty or not, I do not care and I do not wish to be involved with any of them.

I thought the Empress would get upset with my actions, but instead, I heard her chuckle.

"I'll get straight to the point. I want to appoint you as the second princess' personal knight. I'm doing this for two reasons, to pay a debt from your parents and because I know for a fact that you'll be useful to protect my daughter. Don't think of declining my offer because I know that you have nowhere else to go. Instead, think of something that you want in return of doing this job I ask of you."

I couldn't contain myself that I ended up showing my disapproval on my face. I frowned and gritted my teeth, clenching my hands that are placed on my lap. She isn't wrong. My land chased me out already because of what I did. And it's already too late to regret my decisions, but protecting someone... is that what you call an atonement for a grave sin you regret doing?

If that's the case, then I shall take this chain and wrap it firmly around my neck. For that, I might be able to live with less regret burdening my soul.

"I accept the offer, your majesty. I only ask for freedom, freedom to do whatever I like."

The Empress only smiled at me then she motioned one of her maids to step forward. I didn't notice it before, but all the maids she brought with her were holding some things.

The first maid who stepped forward held an accessory box. The Empress took it from her and presented it to me. She opened the box, showing two pins with different crests engraved with them. The first pin has the crest of a noble family, while the second one is like a flower symbol.

"This is a pin that symbolizes me as the daughter of Duke Verdel and this pin will symbolize your loyalty towards me. While this other one is the second princess' symbol. It's a flower called amaranthine that you can rarely find. This symbolizes your loyalty towards my daughter. Keep them both safe, but if you ever need to throw one of them, throw my symbol instead and keep my daughter's safe."

She left the accessory box opened then placed it in front of me. The next maids stepped forward and the Empress presented all the gifts she brought for me. A custom made sword, cloak and daggers. And a uniform that has the same crest as the second princess' pin.

"Lastly, I shall introduce you to her highness that you will serve." I could see the fondness from her eyes.

Normally, it's the first children that receives those kind of affection from their parents. But looking at the Empress, she seemed to value the second princess more.

"Mother? Why did you call for me?" That familiar voice.

I watched as the Empress cradled the familiar kid on her lap and the kid quickly smiled when she saw me.

"She's the second princess of the Imperial Family, Princess Amethyst le Clair. She's 2 years younger than you and a bit naïve of the world around her. She doesn't understand the empire's hierarchy, but loves studying. She started physical training a couple of days ago with me as her personal trainer. Other than that, she has an older twin. And that's all you need to know about her."

The Empress seemed generous about the information she's relaying to me, but she's also the private type. It seemed like the rumors were true. That only the first princess is receiving the best treatment a royal could ever ask for.

A couple of months had passed since I started working under the Empress' authority. I've only watched from a distance, but what I've known so far is that the second princess is truly naïve. She's having a hard time identifying who her enemies are. Or maybe it's like that since she's still young.

Either way, I've noticed that most of the servants that serve her are her enemies. They often bully the princess as if they're taking their stress out on her and the princess will only smile at them, believing that everything happens out of the servants clumsiness. The Empress knows of this, but it seemed like she can't do anything as well, specially since the servants are under the Emperor's authority.

Another thing is that even her eldest twin princess treats her differently. I couldn't believe my own eyes before when I saw the first princess spill tea at her own sister's dress.

I wanted to dig more information about this, but I remembered the Empress' words. If that's the case then I shall pretend that it doesn't affect me.

A year passed, and all I did was watch her hide in her room or in her favorite garden. Follow her during her secret trainings, and most of the time, silently save her from her servants abusive behaviours. There are also times that the princess will spot my hiding place then she'll hand me something to eat, like cupcakes. She even tried to invite me for her tea time, but I had to refuse because of my duty.

And unknowingly, I've developed a sense of affection for her that made me eager to protect her from anyone.

And a tragic day happened that changed her entire being. It happened when she reached her tenth birthday. An assassination attack unfolded during their celebration. I was able to protect the second princess, but the first princess died.

I witnessed the Emperor and Empress grieving for their lost heiress, but what got my attention was that faint smile from her majesty's lips.

"You did a very good job, Keita. Continue with what you're doing."

It was just a hunch before, but because of the Empress' current action, I can now be sure that everything went according to her plan. From hiring me to assassinating the first princess.

─── 𖥸 ───

It's been five years since that incident happened and I've been wavering since then. I hid the pins in my room for the meantime. A part of me wanted to leave everything I promised, while the rest of me's chained to stay beside her. I couldn't forget that night when the transfusion began and the Amethyst who woke up feels someone different. It felt like she locked her own self inside of her and hid from everyone. While the first princess' body was nowhere to be found.

Up until this day, I started disguising myself as Keita, a knight in training. But truthfully, the late Empress bestowed me the name of Keita Kurosawa, the princess' personal knight. Even the Grand Duke's aware of this, that's why he let me stay in the Imperial Palace even after the late Empress' death.

I was lost in my thoughts while we rest at the safe spot that Sir Reynolds found when I felt a chilling aura lurking around us. I glanced at the Grand Duke, and he seemed to look back at me, as if he sensed it too. He was about to command the knights to prepare the carriages when a couple of men wearing black cloaks appeared right before us.

They were armed with swords and daggers, and luckily, we were alert enough to deflect their attacks. They were strong, but they couldn't beat the knights that the Grand Duke personally chose for this travel.

When we thought that we were already winning, a dark sorcerer arrived. It stood in front of the princess' tent. My heart was racing anxiously as I run closer to the tent. I felt panic filling my head, not letting me think properly. It was a sudden rush of fear, fear of not hearing her voice again. Fear of not seeing her precious smile. Fear that I might lose the princess completely

At this point on, I could clearly answer myself. The princess became a part of my life that she slowly became my sole purpose to live. If she dies, then I shall avenge her and die as well.

And the last thing I remembered was a painful struck of lightning hitting my body, rendering me unconscious.

─── 𖥸 ───

I quickly covered my eyes as a bright light flashes right in front of me. My eye brows creasing as I slowly open my eyes. I could hear my heart pounding as I could feel a familiar presence from that blinding light.

"Do not think of anything, Keita. Do not think of my words from before. All I ever ask for you now is the safety of my daughter." That voice. It's the voice of the late Empress.

She sounded so genuine. I kneeled in front of her, showing respect as I silently accept her command.

I will not waver again for I finally understood my sole purpose in this life. And that is to keep the future of Amaranthia safe at all cost. Even if innocent lives will be at stake.

And from then on, I pledged loyalty to the late Empress and to her highness, the future Empress.