CHAPTER 006

Why am I having a hard time breathing? I was fine just a while ago. What’s happening? Why does my chest feel tight? I can’t move. I tried to move my hand and even tried to lift one finger to wake myself up. I was just sleeping. I’m sure I was sleeping. My dream was still… I can’t remember it…

I tried to struggle from that heavy force that’s pressing against my head and chest. I could be experiencing this sleep paralysis I usually experience back in my other life. I did my best to open my eyes and felt relieved when I successfully do so. But it looked dark, like someone is trapping me from the darkness and preventing me from breathing. It had taken me a couple of seconds before I realized what was going on. Someone was trying to suffocate me using a pillow.

I forcefully pushed the pillow off my face and pulled myself up to sit. I panted heavily as panic slowly rushed to my body.

No. Stay calm, please…

“Why can’t you just die?” My eyes widen as I recognize that voice. Eliza… my handmaid. 

“Just die, your highness, please…” She begged, her voice almost a whisper. She tried attacking me again, this time using a dagger that she grabbed from somewhere.

I was still having a hard time seeing, but I managed to sense her energy. I gathered my remaining strength to push myself out of the bed. A soft groan escaped my lips as my body hit the cold floor. I rolled a little more and moved to the side of my bed, near the balcony. My body feels heavy, I wonder if she did something to me before I woke up.

She was my handmaid, and I somehow trusted her since she’s the only one who looked after me ever since I’ve arrived here. So why?

I wanted to ask her questions that suddenly flooded my head, but I had to knock her down first. Before I could do anything, I felt another force hitting my back. “Ugh…” I yelped as my body fell on the floor.

I wanted to cry from the anxiety that’s building inside me. My body was starting to shake as well as panic engulfed me.

Henrietta… Don’t be so afraid, please… We have to survive…

I tried convincing myself, this body of hers, I want both of us to live. I shut my eyes tightly, silently hoping that any of those three musketeers will show up to save me.

“Let’s capture her alive if we can’t kill her here,” I heard the man who kicked my back suggested.

I could only tremble in fear. My body’s not cooperating with my mind as well, and I’m starting to feel nauseous.

“Who did you say you would capture?” That voice!

The fear that was starting to devour me slowly vanished as soon as I heard Hendrix’s voice. I quickly lifted my head and looked at the door of my room. My eyes could be swelling, but it will be because of the tears I was holding back earlier that’s now starting to flow down my cheeks.

“Argh!” The man groaned loudly.

“How dare you enter a lady’s room without permission?” Arthur!

I watched how the man fell on the floor after Arthur had stabbed him with his sword.

This terrifying experience had drained me. I could feel my head getting heavier, and my chest tightening up. And the last thing I heard were their frantic voices calling out to me.

“Henrietta!”

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I found myself lying alone in another room. I assumed it was one of their rooms because of the intrinsic design it had. I mentally checked on myself first and was relieved when I felt no pain from breathing anymore. I should be fine now, right? Henrietta should be fine now.