CHAPTER 010

The capital of the Clareian Kingdom is called 'Amaranthia'. The name came from the Empire's name Amaranthia that originated from the deity who blessed the entire empire, Goddess Amaranthine the deity of creation. The capital is located in the middle of the Clareian Kingdom near the Imperial Palace. It is a vast land wherein most of the merchants live.

The capital is divided into four sections and a grand plaza located in the middle of it. The four sections are called 'Esquiran' and each has special qualities that make each of these four sections to stand out equally.

The northern section is called Borealis and this is located in front of the Imperial Palace. You can find various shops in the northern section that sell different types of clothing. Other than that, dangwas are one of the most highlighted shops that you can enjoy looking at in Borealis.

The southern one is called Meridies. You can find inns and restaurants that you can surely enjoy after wandering around. This section is famous for serving different types of cuisines that originated from different places. There are also bars that you can enjoy during the night.

Occiden is the name of the western section, and this section is full of armory and carriage shops. They specialize in making weapons and armors for mercenaries that work in the capital. A mercenary inn is located at the center of the western section, and that's where you can register and become an official mercenary for the kingdom.

Lastly, the eastern section or what they call the Orientem. The Orientem is the most intimidating section in the capital. This place has the most shady looking shops as well. That is because the eastern section is the home of mana and magical crystals shops, libraries, and fortune-telling shops.

One thing that each section has in common is the Great Phoenix statue. However, each statue has a magical type of gem crystal that is placed at the forehead of the Phoenix and each gem crystal symbolizes one element of nature: Borealis with the air crystal, Meridies with the fire crystal, Occiden with the water crystal, and Orientem with the earth crystal. It is said that they were personally blessed by the powerful Solaris. Each crystal serves a purpose, and that is to keep the whole Kingdom of Clareian safe from any dark magic attacks.

Additionally, this statue is the actual symbol of the deity Amaranthine and also the symbol of the first ever powerful mage Solaris who protected the empire all his life. It is said that the Phoenix statues are alive and monitoring each section of the capital.

─── 𖥸 ───

[ THE CAPITAL AMARANTHIA ]

"I didn't know that the streets outside the Imperial Palace were quite pleasant looking. They really maintain the cleanliness here," I muttered to myself.

I really felt amazed at how neat everyone looked outside. It was because of the maids' words that made me think that life outside that sheltered palace would be a bit hard. It was really just a thought since I've never gone outside ever since I got here.

I flinched when Rowan held my hand and pulled me closer to him. "Don't wander too much, princess. You might get lost," he warned, his voice low and cautious.

I glanced at him and noticed how wary he is of our surroundings. He must've noticed something odd. Ah, what have I been thinking? Tsk. I shouldn't let my guard down as well.

I carefully looked around then lowered my head when I noticed a few men watching us. They don't really look like palace guards, more importantly, they look like mercenaries.

I've read about them in one of my history books. Mercenaries in this world are former soldiers from different nations who resigned and made a choice of using their own strength to a much heavier work that offers a satisfying paying price. Like taking care of wanted people.